1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REMAP

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Graze, May 8, 2005.

1. Graze

Graze Member

[May 8, 2005]
    HI THERE WAS WANDERING ABOUT SOME INFO ON REMAPS AND WHAT COMPANY 2 USE FOR THE MOST POWER MY BROTHER HAS JUST HAD HIS 225 BHP S3 2003 MODEL REMAPPED AT STAR PERFORMANCE AND THE FIGURES FOR BHP ARE 283 WHICH COST HIM JUST OVER 500 NOTE,HAS ANYBODY ELSE GOT THIS POWER INCREASE OR MORE
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 8, 2005]
    Jeez...stop shouting!

Would you mind turning off your Caps Lock?
  4. Graze

Graze Member

[May 8, 2005]
    was looking for a reply not a telling off lol
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[May 9, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    HI THERE WAS WANDERING ABOUT SOME INFO ON REMAPS AND WHAT COMPANY 2 USE FOR THE MOST POWER MY BROTHER HAS JUST HAD HIS 225 BHP S3 2003 MODEL REMAPPED AT STAR PERFORMANCE AND THE FIGURES FOR BHP ARE 283 WHICH COST HIM JUST OVER 500 NOTE,HAS ANYBODY ELSE GOT THIS POWER INCREASE OR MORE

[/ QUOTE ]

283bhp LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif ... 280bhp+ is very optimistic just for a remap, but if figures make you happy...
  6. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 9, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    was looking for a reply not a telling off lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlucky!
    You are more likely to get a reply when not shouting.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  7. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 9, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

283bhp LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif ... 280bhp+ is very optimistic just for a remap, but if figures make you happy...

[/ QUOTE ]

280 BHP from a standard turbo with everything else in a high state of tune, is pushing things to the limit...
    It's been done...but it's right on the edge.

Looks like Jim's temperature correction is a bit suspect again...

I'd say 260 is closer to the mark.

What boost was this mythical 283 BHP holding?
    Peak boost?
    Torque produced?
    Power at the wheels?
    Ambient temperature?

Of course, it could be that Jim has just found the secret of making 280+ BHP out of his custom re-maps...but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the proof.

On the opriginal question of other cars producing similar power...there is another S3 well known to Star Performance, that consistantly produces around 280BHP - and it's had 3 years worth of work / developmemt and £5000-6000 worth of money spent on it to get it to genuinely achieve those sort of figures.
    Regularly it surprises the owner of Star with it's reliable power output...
    Regularly it surprises other S3 owners who 'think' they've got 280ish BHP when it destroys them on the road...proving, in fact, that they have not got 280+ BHP at all...

280+ from a re-mapped standard car? I don't think so.
    Not genuine power...
  8. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

[May 9, 2005]
    Usual story on this forum,my remapped s3 made 245bhp on a reliable rr.Hey Glen i pulled the bumper off this weekend to sort out this duct for the air-box and couldn't believe how tight the fmic is ,it really can't be any bigger than it is ,i can't see how you could have 3" pipework.
  9. Graze

Graze Member

[May 9, 2005]
    i am only going on what it said on the bit of paper mate the other figures i am not sure of but when i see my brother agai i will ask him to see the print out he got when he got the remap i find it hard to believe myself but its there in black and white,i will ask him for it next time i see him

orvil
  10. Graze

Graze Member

[May 9, 2005]
    figures make most people happy nobody would by an s3 if they were only 175bhp standered i am only going on what i hav seen ,no need to lie
  11. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 9, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Usual story on this forum,my remapped s3 made 245bhp on a reliable rr.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good, honest approach there...

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Glen i pulled the bumper off this weekend to sort out this duct for the air-box and couldn't believe how tight the fmic is ,it really can't be any bigger than it is

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...it's a tight fit.
    There is less room behind an S3 bumper than a TT bumper...as you say, it really can't be much bigger.

[ QUOTE ]

,i can't see how you could have 3" pipework.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the airbox feed duct?
    Or the size of the pipework off the FMIC?
    I'll assume it's the cold air feed duct you are referring to:

I had 4" (100 mm) ducting in there...

It's possible, I can assure you.
    You have to trim the corner off the battery tray (requires the tray being removed), you have to move the battery as far inboard as possible, you have to have no SMIC on that side, you have to remove wiring look clips and relocate some of the wiring loom to the lights...
    But it'll go...but it's tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it's in, you have the issue of getting a 4" duct into the airbox...again, it's tight...but it'll go.
    You'll have to 'ammend' the shape of the duct to take the available space in the inner wing, bend the airbox locating brackets to make room etc...

It's a tight squeeze...but it'll go...

[​IMG]

I never said it was easy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  12. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

[May 10, 2005]
    I have a 80mm duct for my airbox,i had it in place when my bumper was off so i know it will go-just!
    I was refering to the ic pipework as it coming out of the end tank,it's really close to the bumper and the plastic radiator cover thingy.
  13. Graze

Graze Member

[May 10, 2005]
    hi there went to my brothers tonite to see his print out of his remap the figures were
    283lbsft
    274 bhp
    he had made a mistake when he had told me
    he olso said that this was 1bhp up on jims own car and it had an exaust and had been mapped 10 times to look for any extra power
  14. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 10, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    hi there went to my brothers tonite to see his print out of his remap the figures were
    283lbsft
    274 bhp

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes more sense...
    274 BHP..

Still high...

[ QUOTE ]

he olso said that this was 1bhp up on jims own car and it had an exaust and had been mapped 10 times to look for any extra power

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!
    Jim's graph was done with the car running FWD, if I remember correctly.
    If it's fractionally up on Jims power, the graph is not comparable to a car run 4wd...the flywheel power shows higher than actual when run in this manner.

What was the power at the wheels?

The torque I can believe though...Star's maps do give damn good torque figures.
  15. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 10, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was refering to the ic pipework as it coming out of the end tank,it's really close to the bumper and the plastic radiator cover thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...
    not sure where you get 3" from then...I certainly didn't have and 3" pipework...more like 2 and a bit inch.
  16. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[May 11, 2005]
    Orvil, this car is from St Andrews?

Jim was speaking about it yesterday - he put the same map into it as on his car and was surprised with the figures given he has a very expensive exhaust fitted to his car reputed to make much power..

Interesting..

It was a FWD dyno run, so power is a little higher than a 4WD dyno run, but nevertheless these maps are beating the competition comprehensively in terms of power, price and most importantly driveability... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  17. Graze

Graze Member

[May 12, 2005]
    So do you think this could be the answer for getting more power than the other remaps on the market?It is my younger bros car he is well chuffed with it,got prices from other companys and they were more expenisive but offered about 10bhp more but thats over the phone its a long way to drive to find u have less than they told you on the phone.
  18. Graze

Graze Member

[May 12, 2005]

What was the power at the wheels?

I will ask him for a look at the print out again next time i have a chance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  19. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So do you think this could be the answer for getting more power than the other remaps on the market?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partly. Running FWD will give a little more power, but these maps ARE producing more power than most companies generic maps at the moment, as you would expect given the boost profile.

It's a great price too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  20. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[May 12, 2005]
    Are these APR maps or custom?
  21. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 12, 2005]
    They are custom maps, developed by Star Performance...
    Regardless of the figures and their 'alignment' compared to other tuners power figures, Jim's current maps are stunning to drive!

Jims own S3 doesn't pull like a 'normal' chipped S3...it's very progressive, smooth, and good top end - unlike many (mine included) that was very obviously optimised for bottom end torque.
  22. C_Audiboy

C_Audiboy Vroom Vroom

[May 12, 2005]
    Ess_Three, are Jim's remaps 'switchable' back to the original code?

I've still got 9 months warranty left, but I'm sorely tempted to take a trip up to Star and get this done. It's certainly a confidence builder that the person doing the remap has the same car, so obviously knows his stuff......
  23. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 13, 2005]
    I believe Star can offer a service where you can swap between a performance map and a standard map, at the press of a button...
    Best speak to Jim.

I'm sure he'll give you all the info...and perhaps let you drive his S3 to see what things are likely yo be like after the remap.
  24. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[May 13, 2005]
    The maps are switchable - the stock price includes standard and remapped modes, I understand they use a box very similar in design and operation to the "one-click" system.