Remap Vs tuning box

swalder

Reaction score
as above toying with the idea of buying a tuning box.

I am not looking to add 90bhp to the car . Literally smooth out the car , increase fuel MPG and a very extra ponies !

just wondering what everyones experiences are like with either?

I have a 2.0TDI , I like the idea of the tuning box one for cost and 2 for ease of unplugging and its not permanent.

But then a remap is more detailed and more tailored to my need of the car.

So anyone with either let me know your experiences and any recommendations of brands for tuning boxes

cheers

I would stay away from tuning boxes, all they do is fob the sensors and inject more 'stuff' into the engine. A custom remap although more expensive is as you said tailer to the needs of the car. Also you'd get a smoother delivery of power. The tuner would RR it so you can even see the power delivery!

Reactions: JamesA3tdi
Iv had tdi tunning box on my 2.0tdi 140 for about 6months an I love it.
It was so under powered before. It defo brings it to life. People say stay away but I've had no problems.

Reactions: TDI-Tuning
What box did you buy ?

As same as maps plenty of companies but rather buy on recommendations

Remap every time, with a jack in the box a standard map's torque spike becomes an even bigger torque spike.

Before you write them off have a search for TDI Tuning, there are loads of threads on here as they are a sponsor.

There are lots of very negative comments about tuning boxes but I think most of them are from people who have never tried them or have maybe only tried very basic or poor ones.

I've had a couple of tuning boxes from DTUK and I have to say they were excellent.

I think its fair to say that tuning boxes are a little bit more crude than bespoke remaps, but then good tuning boxes are adjustable and can work well with your car. They tend to be quite severe in their power delivery if set to the max but they do give good performance gains for moderate cost and have the great benefit of being removable at any stage and you can get a good portion of your money back by selling it on once you've had enough or want to sell the car.

Tuning boxes have their in-built generic maps that will work well with your car but like fitting a generic "off the shelf" remap they won't be 100% tailored to your specific car. That's where a proper bespoke remap will be the best option, but usually you will pay more for one of these.

Like any performance enhancement, there will be an increased load on the mechanicals of your car. Clutch and flywheel in particular will be under more strain etc. Drive the car sensibly and you should be fine. Rag the kn4ckers off it and you will cause damage, but then again you would do on a standard car.

I'd opt for whatever works best for you. Both will offer performance gains. Just don't believe the hype about drastically improved fuel economy lol.

J:)

Reactions: scotty76
Best thing about the box is you can remove it when car for sale
Had different ones on a tdi and td5 discovery, tdi plug in box, not that good but worked, then came a custom remap and huge intercooler, didnt initially seem that much better, but once back on regular routes to work I could tell there was more there.
Td5 it had a very clever twin plug in box set up was pretty good, then another that wasnt, then custom remap, I rather got into it then, had spare remapped chips, turbo boost controller, egt gauges, sensors all over the place, all removed and sold as standard car!
Good check of quality of a remap/box, is how much visible smoke it chucks out in following cars headlights at night, more smoke equals crap tune!

I'm sure these boxes don't have their own generic maps but fool sensors to dump a load of fuel in piggybacking the stock map ?

I've had some great results with generic remaps.

as above toying with the idea of buying a tuning box.

I am not looking to add 90bhp to the car . Literally smooth out the car , increase fuel MPG and a very extra ponies !

just wondering what everyones experiences are like with either?

I have a 2.0TDI , I like the idea of the tuning box one for cost and 2 for ease of unplugging and its not permanent.

But then a remap is more detailed and more tailored to my need of the car.

So anyone with either let me know your experiences and any recommendations of brands for tuning boxes

cheers

Hi Swadler,

Feel free to give us a call for a general chat on 01245 924 400 if you are still looking for some general advice. We offer both remaps and tuning boxes and will be more than happy to talk you through the options available to you.

We offer a 10% discount to Audi Sport members and a 14 day money back guarantee to give you an opportunity to try the system first hand. If it's convenient for you to visit our office in Chelmsford, Essex, we can also offer a 'try before you buy service'. In addition, our products also come with a 3 year warranty.

Regards,

Steve

Diesel Tuning | Diesel Engine Tuning | TDI Tuning