Remap Questions

Max-Robbo

Reaction score
Looking into remaps for my 1.6tdi and was wondering - what does the extra cost of a branded (REVO, APR, Shark) map actually get you?
Is it a better map? Or is it the R&D you're paying for?

It won't be a flash remap so don't worry about that!

Reactions: Kalashnikov
Looking into remaps for my 1.6tdi and was wondering - what does the extra cost of a branded (REVO, APR, Shark) map actually get you?
Is it a better map? Or is it the R&D you're paying for?

It won't be a flash remap so don't worry about that!

Don't think APR do diesel do they? I'm looking for my 2.0 TDI S-tronic to be mapped, always used Revo in the past, I know a 2.0 TDI is about 30bhp, not sure if that would be the same on yours

Reactions: Max-Robbo
Don't think APR do diesel do they? I'm looking for my 2.0 TDI S-tronic to be mapped, always used Revo in the past, I know a 2.0 TDI is about 30bhp, not sure if that would be the same on yours

Been quoted +30-35bhp so that'll do me for now. APR do the 2.0TDI but not the 1.6 (http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tdi.html) , and REVO are 'still in development' for the 1.6 too. Got it booked in for tomorrow at a local-ish dyno with good reviews, claims it will go to 145 (from 110) but around 140 ill be happy!

Reactions: Usman786, Rob2k68 and pburv
Certainly did, feels much better now! He had a dyno but I had to get back to work (it was already a pretty long 'Doctors appointment'...) so didn't get to test it, trying to find a cheap ish dyno near to me to get an actual figure, but I don't know if I'm bothered?
Picks up quicker than a colleague's 2.0tdi (150ps) so I'm happy with that. Also it wouldn't break 110mph before, but got to 122ish before I ran out of road (autobahn of course..) and it didn't feel quite finished yet :)

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe, Rob2k68, Sha170 and 1 other person
Certainly did, feels much better now! He had a dyno but I had to get back to work (it was already a pretty long 'Doctors appointment'...) so didn't get to test it, trying to find a cheap ish dyno near to me to get an actual figure, but I don't know if I'm bothered?
Picks up quicker than a colleague's 2.0tdi (150ps) so I'm happy with that. Also it wouldn't break 110mph before, but got to 122ish before I ran out of road (autobahn of course..) and it didn't feel quite finished yet :)
Sounds good does that buddy, would be interesting to see how much its putting out!
Ive been thinking of getting mine done, if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost?

Sounds good does that buddy, would be interesting to see how much its putting out!
Ive been thinking of getting mine done, if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost?

Yeah I'm keen to know, but it's just more money on a car that the Mrs keeps reminding me isn't actually mine... :blahblah1:

£250 at SLT in Sheffield, fully custom map, and didn't have to take the ECU out (I thought you did on this model, but he had 'the expensive kit').
Definite increase in low down pull, and noticed today that there's another quite prominent kick at 3k rpm... Keeps me happy :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
Knew you wouldn't be disappointed. The 1.6 tdi is a fairly capable engine with the remap. The added power at 3000 rpm makes those motorway speed changes much easier. Also much easier to maintain 80+ on the motorway.

I would have thought that was down to the increase in torque...

@max robbo
I can confirm to that :) if u really wanna make the most of ur engine id recommend u to do a dsg remap and a DTUK pedal box, believe me that feels like a stage 2, it transforms the remap into a diff beast! U should also find that ur car gets quicker over time, ( happened with me) ‎

I have the same car as u with a remap, dsg map and pedal box with 45k on the clock. ( had all these mods for over a year now)‎

A friend of mine recently brought a vw golf gtd and the performance in a straight line is basically the same!‎
Surprisingly my car picks up alot quicker from 30mph-50mph than the gtd as well as feeling much quicker overall in gear than off the line ( off the line performance I get way too much wheelspin)

I'm so surprised at the potential this car has.. only a 1.6 but doesn't even remotely feel it, n I've had 2litres in the past which have had 180bhp plus yet they feel no where near as rapid as mine..
How is ur economy? I average late 50s, low 40s in town and mid 60s on motorway.. so it has more or less improved somewhat, I also find that I can drive around like a boy racer but then switch to comfort n I find that the DIS computer gives me some miles back.. very impressed

@max robbo
I can confirm to that :) if u really wanna make the most of ur engine id recommend u to do a dsg remap and a DTUK pedal box, believe me that feels like a stage 2, it transforms the remap into a diff beast! U should also find that ur car gets quicker over time, ( happened with me) ‎

I have the same car as u with a remap, dsg map and pedal box with 45k on the clock. ( had all these mods for over a year now)‎

A friend of mine recently brought a vw golf gtd and the performance in a straight line is basically the same!‎
Surprisingly my car picks up alot quicker from 30mph-50mph than the gtd as well as feeling much quicker overall in gear than off the line ( off the line performance I get way too much wheelspin)

I'm so surprised at the potential this car has.. only a 1.6 but doesn't even remotely feel it, n I've had 2litres in the past which have had 180bhp plus yet they feel no where near as rapid as mine..
How is ur economy? I average late 50s, low 40s in town and mid 60s on motorway.. so it has more or less improved somewhat, I also find that I can drive around like a boy racer but then switch to comfort n I find that the DIS computer gives me some miles back.. very impressed

I'm manual mate so no DSG tune, and I tried out the DTUK CRD3+ (tuning box, not pedal box) and didn't feel too much from it to be honest :/ - maybe I was expecting too much?

Also, I've got about 22k on the odo so the car is thoroughly 'worn in', but the techie where I got it done said the map should settle in after 400 miles or so, as the ECU gets used to the new values? (For lack of a better way of wording it!)

Economy has always been mid 50s generally speaking, it's a small diesel engine so mpg is never going to be too low. Get a few 60s on less spirited journeys and the odd 70 (pre-remap, so unadulterated figures) on long drives, can't complain really!

Reactions: syed123
Torque gets you there quicker, power keeps you there so the more interesting factor is the increase in torque, not the power, so I would be more interested in those figures.
I have also noticed that remaps with a diesel engine improves the response over the rpm range making the engine almost petrol like in its response. With a petrol the low down grunt is improved but the effects are mostly at the top end of the rpm...

Torque gets you there quicker, power keeps you there so the more interesting factor is the increase in torque, not the power, so I would be more interested in those figures.
I have also noticed that remaps with a diesel engine improves the response over the rpm range making the engine almost petrol like in its response. With a petrol the low down grunt is improved but the effects are mostly at the top end of the rpm...
Sorry I blanked! Yeah the torque is what gets you off the line.

Standard torque for the 1.6 is 250nm, and generally it pushes to around 300 from a stage 1 map

Reactions: pburv
That's good torque, comparing it to the figures that are achieved for the 1.4 140ps COD petrol, you're looking at about 180ps and 300Nm. I have been toying with the idea for months now, it's just which one tuning box to use...

Just out of interest and maybe a really stupid question so forgive me if it is, but I have a 2.0 TDI with 150 bhp, could it be remapped by AUDI so it was fully warranted?

Reactions: pburv and Max-Robbo
That's good torque, comparing it to the figures that are achieved for the 1.4 140ps COD petrol, you're looking at about 180ps and 300Nm. I have been toying with the idea for months now, it's just which one tuning box to use...
If you've got the money, everyone's mad for the MTM.. But yeah there's a lot of choice! If you're local to any of the companies I'm sure they'd let you test before handing over the moolah.
But yeah, there's a definite noticeable increase from the trusty bum-dyno off the line

Reactions: pburv
Just out of interest and maybe a really stupid question so forgive me if it is, but I have a 2.0 TDI with 150 bhp, could it be remapped by AUDI so it was fully warranted?
Not a stupid question.. 'Things are only easy when you know how to do them'

Main dealers don't tend to deal with remaps, you might come across ones that are mod/remap-friendly, and some may install certain mods for you (generally OEM parts though), but you won't often find them remapping your car, and it will always void your warranty I'm afraid

Reactions: Whitestar and pburv
anyone else remapped their 1.6 tdi woudl love to hear from you ?

Me! lol except my car will be going back in september :( such a shame as its been ECU,DSG mapped for a year now and it just keeps getting better n better!

I'm manual mate so no DSG tune, and I tried out the DTUK CRD3+ (tuning box, not pedal box) and didn't feel too much from it to be honest :/ - maybe I was expecting too much?

Also, I've got about 22k on the odo so the car is thoroughly 'worn in', but the techie where I got it done said the map should settle in after 400 miles or so, as the ECU gets used to the new values? (For lack of a better way of wording it!)

Economy has always been mid 50s generally speaking, it's a small diesel engine so mpg is never going to be too low. Get a few 60s on less spirited journeys and the odd 70 (pre-remap, so unadulterated figures) on long drives, can't complain really!

Oh I see, I used to have a TDI tuning box prior to my remap with them and that was pretty good for the time, but the remap done by them was in another league!

I don't want to exaggerate but the torque and power feels way higher than is expected from a 1.6tdi.. I really should DYNO it as I'm sure it would push alot more than expected, as I previously said it feels quicker than my mates GTD which is rated at 184ps 380nm torque..

Is your remap a stage 1? will u be making any more modifications? also I can see you've done some kind of exhaust mod ,what's this for?

I was going to do the same a while ago but then didn't.. tbh I found that after the remap u can hear the turbo spooling constantly, the soundtrack is damn impressive for a small diesel, sounds more rorty and has a muscular feel! so for the slack that diesels get and from driving other diesels I'd say this has the best feel and sporty sound surprisingly.

Oh I see, I used to have a TDI tuning box prior to my remap with them and that was pretty good for the time, but the remap done by them was in another league!

I don't want to exaggerate but the torque and power feels way higher than is expected from a 1.6tdi.. I really should DYNO it as I'm sure it would push alot more than expected, as I previously said it feels quicker than my mates GTD which is rated at 184ps 380nm torque..

Is your remap a stage 1? will u be making any more modifications? also I can see you've done some kind of exhaust mod ,what's this for?

I was going to do the same a while ago but then didn't.. tbh I found that after the remap u can hear the turbo spooling constantly, the soundtrack is damn impressive for a small diesel, sounds more rorty and has a muscular feel! so for the slack that diesels get and from driving other diesels I'd say this has the best feel and sporty sound surprisingly.
Agreed, feels pretty good for a 1.6..

Yeah I'm just stage 1, can't do too much to it as its a company car.. Bit too risky! I'm just constantly adding to my list of things to do when I have space for my own little toy ;)

The intake mod is something dead simple, detailed here by Rogers

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/how-i-modified-my-oem-intake.266915/#post-2699261

Doesn't do too much for performance I don't think, but you can hear the intake a bit more, and it lets the engine/turbo breathe a bit more easily

Agreed, feels pretty good for a 1.6..

Yeah I'm just stage 1, can't do too much to it as its a company car.. Bit too risky! I'm just constantly adding to my list of things to do when I have space for my own little toy ;)

The intake mod is something dead simple, detailed here by Rogers

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/how-i-modified-my-oem-intake.266915/#post-2699261

Doesn't do too much for performance I don't think, but you can hear the intake a bit more, and it lets the engine/turbo breathe a bit more easily

Nice, does it improve the sound? I find the standard sound once the boost has been mapped is very sporty and very un diesel like:)

Nice, does it improve the sound? I find the standard sound once the boost has been mapped is very sporty and very un diesel like:)
It does indeed, you can hear the turbo spooling up more when you put your foot down, definitely worth thinking about - and a bonus, it won't cost you a penny!