Remap or tunong box dilema

Andy D

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade the power a bit on my 2004 A4 TDI 130 SPORT fwd.

I'm finding it a nightmare deciding which option to go for,

1, Remap at star performance 449 quid

2, PD2 Tuning box costing 200 quid less.

the tuning box is a digital one with different settings depending on what power curvesz I'm after.

I've had a DTUK digital tuning box on my last diesel, a vectra 150bhp cdti and the gains were fantastic nearly 195bhp.
The only problem I had was a bit of extra soot when accelerating hard.

I pretty much know all the ins and outs of tuning boxes and am probably swayed towards them as the cost is a big factor for me.

Also it can be removed whenever I visit the dealer for any warranty work:rockwoot:

Any help on this would be most welcome and appreciatted.:icon_thumright:

Hi Andy

Been looking for these as well. I also have A4 130tdi.

You had a DTUK box before?

They have a new multi map thing for our engine. so I am temted with this as most of the digital boxes are more expensive and look to have the same casing, any one got more info?

If you type in TOPGEAR in the dicount box you get £50 off.

can we get discount for two?

Dave

Dave
I take it the cost of the box with the discount will be 279 pounds?

I might be able to get it a bit cheaper as I am a repeat customer of DTUK and know the owner through another forum of which I am a R.O.

I had a crd2 box which is the newest digital tuning box on the market with 4 power maps with the ability to fine tune each map up and down to your driving needs.

Would you like me to appraoch DTUK and see what kinda discount I can get for two of them?

That is correct 279 well that is what i got on the web site,

Could be worth an email to see if they are open to negotiation.

Did you have any problems with there product before?

If any one has an opinion we would be glad to hear it, some supporting evidence or experisnces would be helpful.

On the same subject, Diesel engines are only regulated by fuel input no restriction is put on the intake, ie a throttle.

Hi, sorry to interrupt on this thread, but couldI ask, would a DTUK box fit a b5 2.5 tdi at all, as I would be interested in one also, as a chip isn't an option I've got at the moment? Also would the crd2 or the red box be a better option?
Thanks in advance :)

Don't worry about the first question, found it on the site :happy: However, it didn't say if it were a red or crdt box. Also, would you get even more of a discount on three?

denzelburner said:
Don't worry about the first question, found it on the site :happy: However, it didn't say if it were a red or crdt box. Also, would you get even more of a discount on three?

I'm sure I could get them to do us a deal but I'd need to confirm how many first rather than approaching them without anything concrete.

Back to your original question, I would choose a remap. There are more parameters altered, boost, throttle response, fueling etc etc.

I am a little out of date here but I was under the impression that the Tuning Boxes just shoot extra fuel in, hence the soot.

A good remap won't produce the soot on hard accelleration.

I can understand where your coming from with the price though. I had a TuningBox on an old Vectra and was impressed with the difference.

Does the remap at Star include before/after maps on the rollers to check outputs too?

It doies include before and after runs so it would give me an exact figure on my performance.

You're righy about the tuning boxes adding more fuel, some are just simple 30p resistors that constantly add more fuel, the new digital boxes offer more precision and use information to adjust the fuel such as rpm, engine temp etc

So if includes before and after runs, I guess Jim may give a little tweekage to get the best out of the GIAC map perhaps?

I think I would still map it and as for dealer re flash worries, my car doesn't get anywhere near a dealer. It just goes to Star. Job done.