Remap advice

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Posted a link to this in the compatible ebay thread but am posting a new thread as it's advice I'm after.
Found this offer on ebay;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220475164667&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IThttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My questions are;

Has anyone used a postal remap service before and if so, what were the results like?
Is this a good deal?
Will removing my ecu to send away cause any problems with keys, immobiliser etc?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's your ECU then no issues at all mate. I have also spoken to them myself and they seem to know what they are doing, not that i have used them myself, but £99 for a generic map seems pretty good TBH

If it's your ECU then no issues at all mate. I have also spoken to them myself and they seem to know what they are doing, not that i have used them myself, but £99 for a generic map seems pretty good TBH

Thanks, I think I might give this a whirl. Will let you know how I get on

they ebay link doesnt work for me, but a guy i work with sent his ecu away to germany for a generic map to be put on and it was gone 6 weeks.

Sent my ecu off Fri and got it back today, Tues. Popped it in and can notice the difference already. Pulls in mid-range alot better than before and has more kick to it. I'm a happy chappy, well worth the £99 :rockwoot:

Hi, just an up-date to let you know how the re-map is performing.

The car is pulling a lot better in low to mid range, however at high revs (>6000rpm) the car seems to be losing pull.

Could this be down to low fuel pressure at higher revs, I am currently running a standard 4 bar regulator. Do I need to get an up-rated regulator and if so, what bar should I be looking for and where could I get one?

Gareth

Its just the turbo mate. Its too small to be able to provide boost much over 5800rpm.

If you have vagcom, a 3rd gear log would give you an idea of how much power you have.

I thought the k03s turbo would be able to handle a remap.

Would the k04 solve this problem?

It is able to handle a remap, which is why you've probably now got 200hp rather than 150.

I guess it depends how severe this "loss of power" is. Even on the standard car it would begin to feel a bit flat after 5800 even though its still accellerating at its maximum rate, because the power isnt building any more and starts to tail off.

Having never driven a remapped K03 i cant say for sure, but i suspect this flattening/dip in the power delivery may feel more pronounced on a remapped car.

A K04 would help a little, but its still quite small and restrictive. To properly fix the problem you'd need to fit a much larger turbo, say a T28, but the issue you have then, is the larger turbo takes more gas flow to get it spinning and therefore your boost threshold moves up the RPM range, which may be less desirable than having it go flat at the top end. It really depends how you drive it. The best compromise for a daily driver might be something like a Scroll SP51X Outlaw, which is probably good for over 250hp, but still uses the K03 body, so it provides fast response and a low boost threshold.

To get the best from any turbo change, you will need a custom remap to take into account the attributes from the new turbo, and if your going much past 220-230 hp you really need new larger injectors.

Thanks for the info. My car is running a k03s btw. The power 'dip' is more noticable now, the car used to keep pulling till the limiter kicked in.

you might find the map on there is just for a normal 1.8T, so you've probably gone from 180 to 195-200ish, rather than the full 210-220hp your k03s could manage.

Whereas a normal 1.8T would have gone from 150 to 195-200ish, which would seem like a much bigger difference...

If you can find someone with vagcom and do a 3rd gear logging run you'll be able to work out roughly how much power you have.

I will check with ecu evolution that they have remapped for a 180bhp not the 150bhp model.

Forgot to mention that ecu evolution were told car's details, engine code, bhp etc

ye, even if it was the correct map i dont think you'll find as big a difference as a 150hp model would find, simply because 150 -> 200 is a bigger jump than 180->210