Relocating Handbrake AUX-In

poli84

Reaction score
I've done some searching but can't find the answer I am after.

I want to re-route the centre console AUX-IN (next to the handbrake), so that it comes out in either the cup holder (under the arm rest) or in the arm rest itself.
The reason for this is I don't like visible cables and I want to plug a BT receiver into the AUX-IN port.

So I've found DIY's to install a new AUX port into the RNS-E but want I want is to basically cut the AUX cable and then join on a longer wire with a male end which can be routed to the new location.

Is it as simple as that or will this not work?

As long as you get the wiring right it sound be no problem. :thumbup:

Thanks mate.
I wonder if it is just a simple AUX cable that needs to be cut and re-wired. Only one way to find out I guess.

go directly to the source of all things audi and ask Dr. Nigel. His online consultations are free and his advice is priceless! and yes, you can do it

Reactions: poli84
Was hoping Dr. Nigel might see and respond, he's a busy man so wouldn't want to bother him with a PM.
Might do so though!

I also want to do something like this. I've made an iPhone dock from an iPhone cable and a spare dock insert, glued it into the ashtray and sprayed it all satin black. Now all I do is open the ashtray cover and pop the phone into the dock and it charges while I'm driving - works a treat - also means when I leave the car, I close the ashtray cover and you don't see anything.

P1010349 copyP1010350 copyP1010351 copy

I want to take it one stage further and use a dock that has the audio out enabled and wire it into the Aux without any wires showing so that when the iPhone is in the dock, it charges and will play music through the stereo.

Thanks mate.
I wonder if it is just a simple AUX cable that needs to be cut and re-wired. Only one way to find out I guess.

I'm not sure what's on the other end of the AUX input, whether it has an interface module before it connects to the head unit, but a 3.5mm stereo jack is universal by necessity - it's going to have to work with any device you plug into it. There are three lines from the jack: + left, + right, and - shared. As long as you cut and then wire the new jack the same way it will work.

I want to take it one stage further and use a dock that has the audio out enabled and wire it into the Aux without any wires showing so that when the iPhone is in the dock, it charges and will play music through the stereo.

Another option would be to get a cable with the dock connector on one end, and two leads for audio out (it will be line level) and 12 volt charging. You can simply glue it into your dock insert like you're doing now, and cut off the cigarette lighter plug to hardwire the power (be sure to use an inline fuse.) The line out can be cut and hardwired as well, or you can just plug it into the AUX jack and tuck it under the console.

I'm not sure what's on the other end of the AUX input, whether it has an interface module before it connects to the head unit, but a 3.5mm stereo jack is universal by necessity - it's going to have to work with any device you plug into it. There are three lines from the jack: + left, + right, and - shared. As long as you cut and then wire the new jack the same way it will work.

Thanks mate, that's good advice, thank you.
I wasn't sure how many wires made up an AUX in-put so now all is left is to figure out how to get to the wire.
Think the centre console may need to come up.

The line out can be cut and hardwired as well, or you can just plug it into the AUX jack and tuck it under the console.

Cheers - never seen a cable like this - will have to investigate.

It's the "hardwired line out" that I'm interested in - any advice on this. Should it be done at the head unit end or simply "spliced" into the underside of the existing Aux in (near the hand brake)??

I would disconnect existing in back of rns 32 pin connector & leave that taped up for when you sell the car & then run a new auxin cable to where you like mate, problem is you need it to be in a sensible access area so you can scroll with the mp3 player of your choice as its not intelligent port like ami, fairly simple to do overall, just takes little time to build loom, run wire & remove rns etc.

I would disconnect existing in back of rns 32 pin connector & leave that taped up for when you sell the car & then run a new auxin cable to where you like mate, problem is you need it to be in a sensible access area so you can scroll with the mp3 player of your choice as its not intelligent port like ami, fairly simple to do overall, just takes little time to build loom, run wire & remove rns etc.

cheers - might break out the soldering iron at the weekend!!

Thanks mate, excellent advice as always.
I was hoping to just cut from the existing line but more you way is much cleaner.

No need to worry about where the new line-in is placed because I am going to hook it up to a bluetooth adapter which will tuck away in the arm rest and I can still control the music via easy reach on my phone.

Thanks again!

You could pop the existing 3.5mm socket out, add an extension cable, then reroute it to wherever you wanted in the car keeping all the cabling under the trim?

At least that way, when it comes to selling it you can put it back to std quickly?

Yes but then he'd have to solder the wires onto existing, tape up etc, when he can just create new one & disconnect 3 wires at head unit & add 3 new ones, that way existing wiring isnt hacked into & all can be removed refitted as per factory when car is sold.

Yes but then he'd have to solder the wires onto existing, tape up etc, when he can just create new one & disconnect 3 wires at head unit & add 3 new ones, that way existing wiring isnt hacked into & all can be removed refitted as per factory when car is sold.

I meant plug a std 3.5mm cable into the existing socket and tuck it into the centre console, not cut any wires?

I meant plug a std 3.5mm cable into the existing socket and tuck it into the centre console, not cut any wires?

Aux%20socket2.JPG

If you study the pic, you will see the aux & associated surrounding area isnt just a popout scenario & he'd be left with a hole there that would need filling should he just remove the auxin socket as such & I get at least he doesnt want that visual experience.

You cant just remove the trim next to the handbrake & tuck it under, you'd have to remove that whole area & if its part of the 12v socket which it suggests so, then best bet IMHO is to run a completely new loom, that way no nasty visible wires as he advised & can be left as is & returned to stock with ease :)

I understand your logic, but in this scenario its not practical IMHO