1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliability after ECU tune

Discussion in 'Tuning' started by butthead, Oct 20, 2004.

1. butthead

butthead New Member

[Oct 20, 2004]
    Excuse the numpty question, but as a relativley new owner of an A4 1.8TS the prospect of a 20%ish
    torque increase for 500 quid inc. dyno time seems a bit of a bargain that'd be rude to dismiss
    (I'm used to the motorcycle world which is £1000 + for less than 10%!!). However, I thought it prudent to ask the real world (not a tuning house) of any possible negative effects this sort of fun may have on a 80000 mile motor. Are they fairly bomb proof or do big-ends etc suffer from the extra loading?

Cheers in advance.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 27, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    chairboy said:
    I just booked mine in with AMD if it's a 190 bhp A4 there seems to be a grey area around the subject of the intake of the 30 or so cars they have chipped so far 12 have required the additional upgrade at an extra cost of another £550 plus vat. This seems to be depend on how hot it runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The intake? and whats this extra £550+vat? never heard of this before! to be honest, ive never heard of any problems caused my chipping a car!

Rich
  4. azzurro2222

azzurro2222 Member

[Oct 27, 2004]
    I think because of the new turbo charger on the 190 bhp 1.8T's when they are chipped they can produce too much heat and here in lies the problem, check out the link and look at the price differential.

AMD really don't seem sure why it happens to some cars and not others.

http://www.amdtechnik.com
  5. RichA3Turbo

[Oct 28, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stage 1 1.8Turbo 190bhp Model ONLY Re-chipping - including rolling road time, mapping, fitting, 'before/after' plots of power and torque, test drive. Workshop time about 3 hours. Performance gains approx. 40 bhp, 40 lbs ft torque. Learn what the 'T' in 1.8T really stands for. Because of the significant power increase, it may be necessary to use a reinforced intake system for high speed use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah thats alright... get a strengthened intake before the remap.

Rich
  6. RichA3Turbo

[Oct 28, 2004]
    Samco do one for much less than a sportec version.

Rich