1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relentless vs ebay intercooler, done to death but pro opinions wanted!

J Eyo Mar 28, 2014

1. J Eyo

J Eyo Polo GTI (6) R

I know this has been done to death, but I may be able to grab myself a relentless FMIC for practically free, vs this ebay kit for about $700.

Am running all your bolt on mods, 3" tip, full 3" turbo back exhaust, V4 header, upgraded DV, 42DD massive intake, power track insert, coil overs etc, last thing is the intercooler and map! then I'm done :D

Importantly though, this is all done on a stock K04 with no want to upgrade any time soon. So with that in mind which intercooler is more suited, is the relentless, though small, enough?

what do you guys think?

VWVortex.com - New intercooler kit from Relentless (this is the relentless)

Audi S3 Front Mounted Turbo Intercooler Full Kit 20V Turbo 1 8 | eBay (this is the ebay kit)

at first glance, the ebay kit just looks much better in terms of size and over all supplied pipework/fitment

any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks guy!

Maty

2. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Well-Known Member

How big is the core of the relentless?
    Never knew they did one tbh?

3. J Eyo

J Eyo Polo GTI (6) R

I've read it's rated to 350bhp flow.

Dimensions:
    Length - 25''
    Height - 7.5''
    Width - 2.75"
    Inlet/outlet - 2.5'' (piping is same throughout)

looks like a great great easy install and there's no blockage to any of the intercooler from the bar.

4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

The vortex link is loading as I type this, so I've not yet looked at the relentless kit, but I can already tell you, from those dimensions, that the relentless FMIC is NOT big enough for a st2 k04. Absolutely not in a month of sundays.

Intercooling size and requirements are a very tricky area, as technically, a k04 at ~300 bhp needs a considerably better IC than a gt30 at 300bhp, because the k04 is running so much harder to make the figures, so it's producing a lot more heat.

Over in the states they all run big turbo's on the whole, and they tune in a mighty odd way compared to the UK also, so I'd say most data is not comparable sadly.

I'd also be staying away from that ebay kit myself too. 50mm end tanks and pipework are NOT big enough and WILL restrict flow.

You'd save yourself around £100 by getting a toyosports type B core (600x300x76) and making the pipework up yourself in 63mm alloy/silicon bends. You only need about 6 bends in total for an S3 setup, and I reckon the whole lot would come in at around £200. not sure how that translates to your currency with shipping costs etc, but it'd be a better end result for sure.

5. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Well-Known Member

In actual core size its not that far from half the toyosport cooler unless im being a div? And being able to flow 350bhp doesnt mean it can cool it efficiently. And our cars are famous for getting hot. Stick with something proven mate.
    Saves doing it twice.

6. J Eyo

J Eyo Polo GTI (6) R

thanks for the advice so far! would 600x300x76 be a little too big for a standard k04? will I have pressure problems? I think after the custom map i'll be looking at 22psi. Ive found a bar and plate following those measurements, but having a look at the pics, it looks huge. I know theres some guys on here running this size but they're pushing 400+ hp, i'll be struggling to reach 300, overkill?

7. J Eyo

J Eyo Polo GTI (6) R

maybe something with dimensions - 500 X 230 X 76 MM with 63mm in/outlets?

8. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

No mate, lag really isn't an issue.

600x300x76 for the cooler, get as MUCH cooling capacity as you can, and 63mm pipework.

read my post again, power really is meaningless.
    A GT30 at low boost will make 300 no stress, so not produce much heat and need much less intercooling than a k04 heat pump at 22psi.

Lag really isn't an issue unless you fit silly 3'' pipework

9. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Prawn speaketh the truth

Prawn likes this.