1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relentless dp sports cat.. Slight dissapointment?Xs power dp an sports cat

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by bleachy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bleachy

bleachy New Member

Right just few little problems i found after fitting mine yesterday.... Anyone else feel the same?

The bracket which is ment to mount to subframe mount is hard against the subframe.
    Only option is to cut it off a realign!

Secondly why pay out for a nice 3" system when it has that silly reducer to fit a standard system?
    It was like a cock in a sock.... So i had to weld another bit of pipe on so it fitted my miltek cat back. Which surely must be restricted? 3" dp an sports cat which then drops down to 2 1/2? 2 3/4". Then back to 3".

Third an final fault is it hangs low under the car so it now scraps over speed bumps :'(

Rant over. Lol.

Other than that its a nice looking bit of kit and build quality is really nice. :)

Whats your thoughts?
  2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Sadly its fairly typical of Relentless's wandering quality control... shame... the are better than they were to be fair but I guess one or two slip through..

The reducer is realistically to allow it to fit to the std system.... you can see why they did it... its difficult to cater for every aftermarket setup out there so the easiest way is to make it fit a std system...

Have heard a few peeps suggest the lower bracket can be problematic...

<tuffty/>
  3. Benjiman46

Benjiman46 R-Tech Terrorist

Mine fits like a glove... You sure you've done it right? :/

Also, unless you're running 400bhp+ you really don't need more than 2.5" cat-back. The 3" downpipe frees up the turbo, lets it spool faster initially, but the difference between 2.5" and 3" cat backs (bearing in mind how restrictive cats are...) on even a stage 2 car is not noticeable. I got the decat version so I don't have that problem ;)
  4. bleachy

bleachy New Member

Im happy with it overall just need to get it on the ramp an sort the bracket out. I may modify the pipe in future but if its not restricting the horses then its happy days. .
    Ill try an get a picture of how it hangs under the car, its like the angle is wrong off the flexi it goes downhill the back up. Strange.
    Thanks guys
  5. Benjiman46

How low mine hangs...

307441_10152554722675285_270900352_n.jpg 16387_10152554722880285_1256292120_n.jpg
  6. dre_S3

dre_S3 Member

I have got to adjust mine aswell as it sits low to and sometimes catches, but apart from that mine fitted ok
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. bleachy

bleachy New Member

I can look at pictures? Is it cause im a newbie? I just get a box with a question mark in it.
  8. Benjiman46

You should be able to... Here try this;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. bleachy

bleachy New Member

Yea mine looks the same as yours. Must be ok then.
    Thanks!
    Bleachy....
  10. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

they do sit very low on the decat section.

They seem to have a bend in there that I don't think is needed, mine sat very low like that and scraped everywhere, so I removed the decat section, and cut out the bend and replaced it with straight 3'' pipe and it sits much further up.

Whether this would cause prop clearance issues with an S3 I'm not sure, worked a treat for me though.

My front hanger also didn't line up at all.
  11. bleachy

bleachy New Member

Thats probably what ill end up doing mate. Its got a 2 or 3" gap between the exhaust an heat shields. Dont no how this could be missed? Lol.
  12. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

I assumed that it was to clear the prop on the S3, but perhaps not!
  13. bleachy

bleachy New Member

No theres loads of room under there. Ive got to get it on the ramp to sort the dp mount out so ill get some pics.
    Ive just bought haldex oil an filter an inner an outer cv boots front an back as im going through the whole car, new mounts bushes etc. Got my work cut out here lol.
  14. s3gazz

s3gazz Active Member

mine vibrates on the prop shaft and sits very low need to sort it well anoying
  15. bleachy

bleachy New Member

Mines started rattling on the subframe... :mad:
  16. aarondown91

aarondown91 Member

Hi my relentless downpipe and sport cat has just arrived. Any advice when fitting it and problems that occurred that you could warn me of. Ha
    Cheers
  17. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Member

Having spent two solid days fitting the damn thing my only advice is make sure you have a very good tool kit, a 4" angle grinder, preferably an air chiesel, preferably a ramp a whole lot of patience and ingenuity and a good mate. Loads of guides around, drop the subframe, undo prop shaft gain access through osf wheel arch etc. And don't bother if your in a hurry, ill equiped, have no patience or its your first mod:)

For the record mine fits like a glove and the ceramic coating means even after a hard run its still cool to the touch unlike the catback lol!!
  18. S3Zek

S3Zek Member

where did you get your ceramic coating done mate? im thinking of doing my mani and down pipe...could you drop me a pm where and how much to if you dont mind? cheers :)