relay wiring question

205man

Reaction score
question for you electricains out there.

im trying to wire up a flashing led to come ON when the ignition is OFF and to turn OFF when the ignition is ON.

the reason is i want to put a flashing led in the pickup/cover off my new l200 warrior, i dont need an alarm just a visual diterent, as there nothing left of real value in there over night etc, and the main cab of the warrior is already alarmed etc.

i have a 5 pin relay (pins 85,86 87,87a,30) but cant work out which to wire to etc and where to take feed from., the led has only 2 wires

i followed the instructions from maplin where i got the led from but with no luck

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=22905&doy=16m6#faq

any ideas??????????

30 is the live feed 12v
85 to earth ,along with the earth off the led
86 an ignition live
and 87a to the live side of the led

how the relay works is with the ign off the live comes in 30 go through the relay out 87a via the led to earth, switch the ign on the relay switchs so that the live from 30 now goes out the 87 terminal thus cutting the 12v to the 87a putting the led off , the relay is switched by applying a 12v feed to the 86 and by making sure the 85 is earthed

one last thing led's only work one way make sure the 12v is on the right wire or it will never work relay or not

Rob