Registration versus VIN

Paranoid69

Reaction score
Is it usual for a cars VIN to be ahead of their registered year?
ie:

My car registration is RY05___, not a private plate - its the one that came with the car when first registered as far as I know (I'm the third owner)
Its VIN is WAUZZZ8E06_______
The online VIN checks tell me my car is an O6 Audi A4 but cant get any more detailed information for my specific VIN.

Only just noticed the difference and will double check my registration doc tonight, cant imagine the DVLA will let me change my plate to an 06 :)
I'm guessing this is just the manufacturer getting ahead of themselves (like magazines releasing their October issue at the beginning of September)

Is it usual for a cars VIN to be ahead of their registered year?

I'm guessing this is just the manufacturer getting ahead of themselves (like magazines releasing their October issue at the beginning of September)
It's definitely normal; 06 Model Year cars start being manufactured in August (or even earlier - my B7 RS4 was built in June '06 and registered in July '06 but has an 07 VIN).

Americans expect the new model year to go on sale no later than August/September, so they've been buying "2014" cars for a couple of months already.

Could have been pre-registered. Bought a bike on Saturday and it is a 59 plate. However the logbook and VIN clearly identify it as a 2010 model.

my a3 8p was first supplied late 2009 on a 59 reg but its a 2010 model

As said earlier: Model Years and Calendar Years (which is what registration numbers are based on) are NOT the same

Model Year (typical ): August - August
Calendar Year: January - January

So ANY car/bike/van/truck first registered in August, September, October, November or December could have a VIN year (i.e. Model Year) one greater than the registration year (i.e. Calendar Year).