Red T?

Andy H

Reaction score
I know in the past Audi used the red T to signify a higher power version of an engine, is that still the case? Actually what I am really asking is why my mates A4 Avant S-Line Special Edition Quattro has a red T whereas mine none quattro does not? The only difference is the 4 wheel drive and his is a couple of years older. As they are both SE's I guess they are both 220bhp?

Yup, that's correct. I have the S-Line SE 220bhp Avant with a red 'T' on the tailgate.

p.s what wear do you get from your tyres (Conti Sport Contacts) The fronts only lasted about 12k and the backs were shot after 31K.

My 2.0 t is only a poor front driver and that has a red T only 200 I am affraid ! Well it was until I had it remapped lol

Mine's a standard 2005 quattro 200bhp (not SE or s-line) and has a red T.
Ditto with regards remap now 300+ bhp.

Tim.

So I am still confused, the only difference between my mates A4 and mine is the age and Quattro. His is 2006 and mine is 2008 but they both are Special Editions with 220bhp engines but his is a red T and mine a silver T. So is it an age thing and Audi used it to indicate the higher power 220bhp engine but then dropped it? The only way to tell now I believe is the front disks are cross drilled and black tail pipes.

No idea on tyre wear as of yet as I have only owned the car for a week :thumbsup:

Yup, that's correct. I have the S-Line SE 220bhp Avant with a red 'T' on the tailgate.

p.s what wear do you get from your tyres (Conti Sport Contacts) The fronts only lasted about 12k and the backs were shot after 31K.

I think its just an age thing mine is an old b7 about the same age as yours and has red T doesnt mean you have any more power.
Just get it remapped and even the 220`s will be blown in to the weeds !

It's probably the same old issue thats been banging around the VAG scene since year dot. The red letter badging has been attributed to all sorts... dealer fit, factory fit, owners changing badges etc etc. I wouldn't worry about it... It's only a piece of plastic.

Th whole badge thing seems to fit in with the 'S' on the steering wheels for S-lines....some have it, some don't....

Th whole badge thing seems to fit in with the 'S' on the steering wheels for S-lines....some have it, some don't....

Haha, that'll be another item mine doesn't have:rolleyes:

Seems to be something they just dropped over time then.

That blows that idea then :think: Oh well, no clear answer to this by the looks of it.

Would love to get a black or blue 'T' just to really stir the mix. How about a gold one? Classy!.....

I've never actually seen a red 'T' on a 2.0T...... ever. Maybe someone chopped the 'T' of a VW TDI.... then again maybe not

why not take the "T" off completely then hey no confusion