Red T????

RSAudi

Reaction score
Hi all

I parked up today to do a bit of shopping with the family next to a nice silver A3. I had a look around it and it was slightly older than mine I think (personal plate though), definitely pre 2001.
Thing is it had a red T on the 1.8T badge yet no sign of quatro badges etc. Not a sport model either. T wasn't hand painted by owner as it had a silver lip around the side with middle painted, mine is smooth all the way across
Any ideas what the red T signifies? Is it an addition by owner a la TDI's to intimate my power (red I = 130bhp, red D and I = 150bhp on golf TDIs)?

I thought the Quattros had the red T so signify the 180bhp...

When I bought my 1.8T the dealer said that all are 150bhp except Quattro which is 180bhp. THisa car wasn't a Quatrro. Probably something the owner changed himself; maybe to signify chipping.

Alright, the Red "T" is used to indicate the 180 version of the 1.8T. Since y'all in the UK don't have the option of a 150 Quattro then you wouldn't normally see a Quattro without it. But trust me, it's used to indicate the 180. Usually there would be the red slash on the T, but for some reason, Audi made the whole thing Red on a couple of model years.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

could have been a red T from a VW golf, as they use red letters for different parts of the GTi and 1.8T badges.

but having asked this question on a VW forum about what a red i stands for, the response was that the dealers fit the badges, so it isnt a standard, just depends on what the dealer decides to put on which car.

Might be the same for Audi dealers?

Mark

we didnt have a 180bhp FWD version in the UK... 150FWD, 180 4wd, 210 4wd, 225 4wd...

some quattros seem to have it and some dont!

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
could have been a red T from a VW golf, as they use red letters for different parts of the GTi and 1.8T badges.
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was a red "i" on GTi which denoted Turbo. My mate's got a 180bhp quattro and it doesn't have a red T. Maybe it was a delete option.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was a red "i" on GTi which denoted Turbo. My mate's got a 180bhp quattro and it doesn't have a red T. Maybe it was a delete option.

[/ QUOTE ]

But does his "T" have the red slash??

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But does his "T" have the red slash??

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take money that he just looked in Etka and bought one of 8D0 853 737E, which is the 'T' for the 132Kw (180hp) A3. By the way take the 'E' off of the part number and you end up with the one for the 150hp.

See, the red slash and red "T" simply indicate a higher output engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But for some reason, Audi went with the full red T for just a couple model years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My old 1.8T Sport earned a red slash on the T when AmD gave it some more power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Its probbably going about in the Midlands somewhere with a new owner wondering why it's so quick, Silver, V Plate...

I did the same as David on my old A3. It's the T from the Quattro, but obviously with out the quattro badge.
The later 180 models regardless of drive. have completely red T's and I've also seen the whole 1.8T with a red underlne. That's only in the last year or so IIRC.

Link to badges if someone has not already.. LINK
Cheers

Ben

Ben, thanks for the link, didn't even think about them myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Now you've got me thinking about a Comp grill badge now that I've been to Oettinger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Comp__grille_badge__300x127.jpg

I think you would be better of with an sheet-alloy home-made spoiler and some nice purple neons under your car; flashing to the beat of the music if at all possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif okok, I'm just joking, the badge seems cool. Just don't overdo it!

Well, as I don't have any badges on her now, I figure a grill badge would set it off nicely. Just not sure if I want a Quattro grill badge, or something else. Don't want an S-Line badge, as she's not an S-Line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Saw the Comp one and thought....maybe.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Well, as I don't have any badges on her now, I figure a grill badge would set it off nicely. Just not sure if I want a Quattro grill badge, or something else. Don't want an S-Line badge, as she's not an S-Line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Saw the Comp one and thought....maybe.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to be Oettinger, you have no choice in it!!

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
My old 1.8T Sport earned a red slash on the T when AmD gave it some more power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Its probbably going about in the Midlands somewhere with a new owner wondering why it's so quick, Silver, V Plate...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is the car I saw when I started this thread! A silver A3 1.8T in midlands with red T; on a personal plate though.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to be Oettinger, you have no choice in it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, good point, but I've got the Oettinger stickers on the doors. I figure adding an Oettinger grill badge would be over-doing it. So my thinking was.... a Comp badge on the grill would be a nice touch, but not too much of one thing. Know what I mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Michael, Michael, Michael, you can never have to much Oettinger!!

The badge on the grill is so understated, and if I had to choose between Oettinger on the dorrs or the grill, the grill would win as it is far more stealthy.

Cuh! I dunno - go direct to the place they make 'em, and you still get duff information! LOL!

Wherever they're from, I thought the red Ts looked good, but as my car's completed debadged, I can like but not have! Well, that's another couple of bob saved towards a new car, then.

[ QUOTE ]
ccc said:
Cuh! I dunno - go direct to the place they make 'em, and you still get duff information! LOL!

Wherever they're from, I thought the red Ts looked good, but as my car's completed debadged, I can like but not have! Well, that's another couple of bob saved towards a new car, then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you've got the right attitude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif