1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

Hello Gents, overhauling my brakes soon. Going to go for goodridge braided lines all round and vented (but not drilled or grooved) brembo discs (very well priced at gsf). The rear pads I am going to replace with OE ones, however I want to try some performance items for the front. Was looking at EBC RED STUFF pads. Hoping a good performance pad will make a noticeable difference in stopping power. I tried the 312mm upgrade I while ago now using standard oe pads and TBH there wasnt any noticeable difference in stopping power (not taking into account fatigue-as obvo bigger discs would dissipate heat better).....SO, if not red stuff what have you guys used or are using with a 288mm front setup?

2. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

I am hoping to go with a 312mm setup on the front with drilled and slotted disc and red stuff pads staying standard size on the rear withe same as front and get some decent brakelines.

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I'd be looking at DS2500's or Mintex M1144's

I've never used either, but i've also never heard much bad about either. The M1144 are slightly more road bias than then DS2500's, the DS's will feel a bit wooden for the first few presses.

I've heard quite a few people say bad things about redstuff and other EBC pads, and as a result would be very wary of running them.

4. phoenixv6quattro

Fair one, I have heard some great things about the DS2500's! Never tried EBC, and always keen to try knew parts, but if there rep isnt good than i will probo gove them a miss.

5. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would NEVER use EBC pads again..... we see so many that are a problem and dont perform.

as above DS2500 or 1144 are good.

I am running Mintex 1155 on the basis the cars heavy, they get better the hotter they get but are totally acceptable from cold.

worth speaking to Questmead........ they offer all the mintex pads

6. B5QUAT

B5QUAT Member

Same here, used Redstuff Pads years ago because I didn't know any better. They are OK for fast road (but only ok). But did a track day in they and they completely disintegrated and became prett useless within quite a short space of time. Echo the sentiments re 1144s and DS2500s. Used both and found them very good. Used 1155 once and found them excellent but took quite a bit of warming up to get the most out of them. They can squeal quite a bit too when cold.

The only good thing about Redstuff is they are very low dust so keep your wheels looking clean. (Ha). A Max Power mod if ever there was one.

7. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Wouldn't use EBC pads ever again, there's a YouTube clip I posted of my brothers EBC Greenstuff pads smoking like mad losing all stopping power after just 3 or 4 stops.

Ferodo DS2500 or Mintex 1155 would be my prefered choice, Mintex 1144 are a bit more road oriented

8. gmx

gmx Member

Where do you guys shop for Mintex pads?

9. AndyC

Questmead

Ask for Alan, say Andy from Ktec sent you.

10. AndyC

11. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Website looks to be trade only?

12. AndyC

ah sorry.... you can get them via me in that case...

drop me an email with what you need

ecutuner@hotmail.co.uk

will check prices and availability.

the site has just changed.... so perhaps retail sales have been dropped for their suppliers.

13. phoenixv6quattro

Going for the DS2500's. Thankyou very much fellas!

14. bmarshall

bmarshall Member

The redstuff dust a lot too. I like them for road though. I use the tyrol sport stiffening kit