red oil light

mcdoobz

Reaction score
hi...mates got a3 8l 1.8t his red oil light as came on with 3 pleeps so we changed the oil pump and gave the strainer good clean theres was no change to the sound of the engine and it still gos as it should...but after usein it for week or two the red light as came on again...can anyone shed some light as ive no idea...tia

Did you replace or clean the sump itself? I spent 3 hours scrubbing mine out with oven cleaner.

It waz brand new sump and oil pump and gave the strainer a good clean new oil and filfer

No but it look clean and oil waz runnin free thru it..

If it was my car is would drop the sump again and check nothing has blocked the strainer again. It's a messy job but takes an hour. If I remember correctly there is an alan screw on the oil pump that if loose causes the pump not to drive. It possibly is a sensor but it's not worth the risk. I once dropped a sump of my friends car on the Scottish Highlands in freezing conditions. It was a sensor issue but the car would have blown up with the drive back to Leeds.

Ok pal guna try that see how it gos...thx

The only other circumstances iv seen it happen was on a 1.8t a4. The head was caked up and blocked it's journals. Take the oil cap off if it's got carbon build up its worth taking the rocker cover off and seeing if you can clean it up. My brother is a mechanic and he fixed that one by pumping fuel through the oil filter housing for a few mins at a time with a fuel pump