1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red-Ex/White Smoke

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jurassic Pork, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Jurassic Pork

Jurassic Pork New Member

[Apr 29, 2009]
    Hey guys i was wondering if you could possibly help

I bought a 2000 S3 4 weeks ago today, and up till last Monday it was working fine, had the time of my life driving it round and no obvious problems bar a squeaking brake. So last Monday i poured some red-ex in to a full tank, and since that day its pissing out white smoke from the exhaust but only when its at 90oC.

it takes bout 5 mins to get to 90 from cold, and the smoke doesnt always piss out, however round town in 2nd-5th gear, itll sit there pissing out smoke on gear changes, and can do when im idling at lights and junctions. however when i get a good stretch of open road, it rarely billows out.

now ive searched for white smoke on here, and seen HG Failures/Turbo Failures but ive checked the oil cap regularly and theres no **** at all on it, the coolant tank is still nearly full and the dip stick shows no sign of gunk. the turbo is still having a massive boost and the dump valve/wastegate is still whirring away.

Im on my third filling since i put red-ex in, (first about 50l, second 20l, third 15l) but im really of whats going on

any ideas?

much appreciated
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. impster

impster Member

[Apr 29, 2009]
    Redex 'burns' with a white smoke mate. I used to use it to help clean the upper cylinder and valves on old Imp and A-series engined cars I had by pouring it in via the carb intake. The white smoke out of the exhaust was literally like a smoke screen.
  4. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

[Apr 29, 2009]
    I used this on my old car. Poured directly into the cylinders. White smoke gallore.

Suprised its still smoking heavily but i guess some could still be in the tank.
  5. barters3

barters3 Member

[Apr 29, 2009]
    i know somebody that used to inject it into the carb on his mini to use as a smoke screen at traffic lights, pointless in my opinion but there you go, so i supose this backs up what everybody has said already.
  6. Tuffty

Tuffty Member

[Apr 29, 2009]
    is redex compatable with cats?
    I'd be warey of putting anything designed for a 1970's motor in a modern engine at the best of times.
  7. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

[Apr 29, 2009]
    Why did you Redex it?.

I'd never EVER put that stuff near any modern engine.
  8. Jurassic Pork

Jurassic Pork New Member

[Apr 29, 2009]
    my mate who talks the talk told me too, last time i listen to him, ill keep an eye on it for now, and keep an eye for other symptoms. cheers guys
  9. ianysm

ianysm Active Member

[Apr 30, 2009]
    That was my question too, if the car was running fine, why pour **** into its fuel tank!
  10. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Apr 30, 2009]
    Does the smoke smell like anything?
    A slightly strange question i know but it does help tell whats wrong
  11. Jurassic Pork

Jurassic Pork New Member

[Apr 30, 2009]
    not really, just normal exhaust fumes really

and hindsight is a wonderful thing lol

its getting less often but when it does, the smoke amount is the same
  12. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Apr 30, 2009]
    blast up and down the motor way till the tank is on fumes... then £10 of cheap fuel. the once that gone... tank it up with V power. if its still there... its not the red X
  13. Jurassic Pork

Jurassic Pork New Member

[May 2, 2009]
    So took it to Stealth Racing in Southam today, not the redex like first thought

I need a new turbo, which is good i finally got a diagnosis, the guy said my seals gone, no turbo rattle or lag tho so i was lucky he reckoned

anybody got any previous experience with turbo replacements and recommendations?
  14. vetch

vetch S3

[May 2, 2009]
    Plenty of spare turbos out there, about £300 on ebay for a low mileage one. I don't know anything about them mechanically, but could you have yours refurbished/repaired? Or even uprated?
  15. Jurassic Pork

Jurassic Pork New Member

[May 2, 2009]
    yeh im open to the idea of uprated turbo and remapping. been quoted 1099 +vat by Audi just for the turbocharger, must be a cheaper option new
  16. vetch

vetch S3

[May 2, 2009]
    Backdraft will supply and uprate a brand new turbo for you for £895 plus vat (K04 hybrid).
  17. S3-Andy

S3-Andy Member

[May 2, 2009]
    honestly mate just get it refurbished and save yourself a packet and get peace of mind and a guarantee!!, i had a td05 done by turbo technics, new bearings,seals, work on the housing, fully balanced etc all in was under £200 and they arranged collection and delivered it back to my door, why do people just assume they need a new turbo at the end of the day if it aint cracked or seriously damaged just get it refurbed mate
  18. Jurassic Pork

Jurassic Pork New Member

[May 2, 2009]
    didnt realise it wud save that much

well worth looking in to, and turbo technics is only down the road