Red-Ex/White Smoke

Jurassic Pork

Reaction score
Hey guys i was wondering if you could possibly help

I bought a 2000 S3 4 weeks ago today, and up till last Monday it was working fine, had the time of my life driving it round and no obvious problems bar a squeaking brake. So last Monday i poured some red-ex in to a full tank, and since that day its ******* out white smoke from the exhaust but only when its at 90oC.

it takes bout 5 mins to get to 90 from cold, and the smoke doesnt always **** out, however round town in 2nd-5th gear, itll sit there ******* out smoke on gear changes, and can do when im idling at lights and junctions. however when i get a good stretch of open road, it rarely billows out.

now ive searched for white smoke on here, and seen HG Failures/Turbo Failures but ive checked the oil cap regularly and theres no crap at all on it, the coolant tank is still nearly full and the dip stick shows no sign of gunk. the turbo is still having a massive boost and the dump valve/wastegate is still whirring away.

Im on my third filling since i put red-ex in, (first about 50l, second 20l, third 15l) but im really of whats going on

any ideas?

much appreciated

Redex 'burns' with a white smoke mate. I used to use it to help clean the upper cylinder and valves on old Imp and A-series engined cars I had by pouring it in via the carb intake. The white smoke out of the exhaust was literally like a smoke screen.

I used this on my old car. Poured directly into the cylinders. White smoke gallore.

Suprised its still smoking heavily but i guess some could still be in the tank.

i know somebody that used to inject it into the carb on his mini to use as a smoke screen at traffic lights, pointless in my opinion but there you go, so i supose this backs up what everybody has said already.

is redex compatable with cats?
I'd be warey of putting anything designed for a 1970's motor in a modern engine at the best of times.

Why did you Redex it?.

I'd never EVER put that stuff near any modern engine.

my mate who talks the talk told me too, last time i listen to him, ill keep an eye on it for now, and keep an eye for other symptoms. cheers guys

That was my question too, if the car was running fine, why pour crap into its fuel tank!

Does the smoke smell like anything?
A slightly strange question i know but it does help tell whats wrong

not really, just normal exhaust fumes really

and hindsight is a wonderful thing lol

its getting less often but when it does, the smoke amount is the same

blast up and down the motor way till the tank is on fumes... then £10 of cheap fuel. the once that gone... tank it up with V power. if its still there... its not the red X

So took it to Stealth Racing in Southam today, not the redex like first thought

I need a new turbo, which is good i finally got a diagnosis, the guy said my seals gone, no turbo rattle or lag tho so i was lucky he reckoned

anybody got any previous experience with turbo replacements and recommendations?

Plenty of spare turbos out there, about £300 on ebay for a low mileage one. I don't know anything about them mechanically, but could you have yours refurbished/repaired? Or even uprated?

yeh im open to the idea of uprated turbo and remapping. been quoted 1099 +vat by Audi just for the turbocharger, must be a cheaper option new

Backdraft will supply and uprate a brand new turbo for you for £895 plus vat (K04 hybrid).

honestly mate just get it refurbished and save yourself a packet and get peace of mind and a guarantee!!, i had a td05 done by turbo technics, new bearings,seals, work on the housing, fully balanced etc all in was under £200 and they arranged collection and delivered it back to my door, why do people just assume they need a new turbo at the end of the day if it aint cracked or seriously damaged just get it refurbed mate

didnt realise it wud save that much

well worth looking in to, and turbo technics is only down the road