Recently upgraded brakes, slightly concerned

JGrant1285

Sir Scouser Benitez
Reaction score
Website
www.allhiphop.com
I recently upgraded my brakes. I got some EBC Grooved discs & a set of greenstuff pads.

Now i let these 'bed in'...the instructions said to give around 300 miles i think, and i went easy for around the 700-1,000 miles mark.

Now say i'm doing 80mph on the dual carridgway, and comming up to a roundabout, i apply a fair amount of brake...i get a kind of groaning noise and i can almost feel the grooves in the discs through the brake pedal(if that makes sense). I also feel like i'm getting brake fade. My dad is a good mechanic and he is unsure about what it is/could be (although he hasn't driven the car). Could it be something to do with the amount of heat producted?

Don't get me wrong, its not REALLY dangerous, i dont have to use the handbrake or anything lol, but i'm not getting the performance that i was expecting.

This is my first brake upgrade on any car, is this something others have come across before?

P.S. The brakes are quite good in town driving maybe 30mph-45mph

Please can someone help??!!

Not sure on the fading but the groan noise is usual with grooved discs when braking from speed.

yea, i get the same groaning noise from high speed braking due to my discs

^^Good (in a nice way) At first i thought "sh1t......my wheels comming off lol".

I wonder why is seems like i'm getting brake fade?

I have also noticed that they do get really hot, you can feel the heat off them when you stand near the front wheels.....they smell too...but i think that maybe the pads...

Keep em comming folks

I get brake fade of my Green stuff pads, TBH i think that they are a budget pad so don't expect to much from them compared to standard pads.
I will be changing mine as soon as i get chance to some better ones

EBC's pads are famous for being pretty pants. I went through several sets and we even got a set smoking on a friends Impreza. TBH I would rather see Mintex 1144 or even 1155 pads or Ferodo DS2500's.

Oranoco said:
EBC's pads are famous for being pretty pants. I went through several sets and we even got a set smoking on a friends Impreza. TBH I would rather see Mintex 1144 or even 1155 pads or Ferodo DS2500's.

agree with the mintex 1144! top brake pads used them with grooved and slooted 3g brake discs! difference was very noticable straight away.

You might get a bit of fade and excess heat as the pads bed in.
Give it some spirited driving with a few hard stamps on the brakes 70 ish to 10 mph a couple of times,remember to let them cool down before you leave it parked up though.
Mine was like that when they was new,work fantastic now.

james0808 said:
You might get a bit of fade and excess heat as the pads bed in.
Give it some spirited driving with a few hard stamps on the brakes 70 ish to 10 mph a couple of times,remember to let them cool down before you leave it parked up though.
Mine was like that when they was new,work fantastic now.

I will give this a try, maybe it might be that they are not bedded in enough???

any idea where & how much there mintex 1144's are????

P.S. Just got some New PZERO's on and i'm quite impressed.

Brake fade is still happening, not sure what to do really.

The brakes are really good up to 50mph ish, but above that.....they do give rather alot of fade.

Annoying.

Ive even had the pads out and discs off again, wire-brushed them using the drill & used brake cleaner.

Basically the fade isnt going away.

And boy do they stink when i've been giving it some pepper, you can smell them about 4 cars away in a car park.

JGrant1285 said:
I will give this a try, maybe it might be that they are not bedded in enough???

any idea where & how much there mintex 1144's are????

P.S. Just got some New PZERO's on and i'm quite impressed.

my mintex came with the 3G brakes i got. worked out to around £60 for fronts and rears! this is going back over 2 years now, im using the greenstuff pads right now. gotta say they are budget.

ive got the ecs tuning stage2v2 coming soon hopefully. interesting to see what th epads are like on the porsches.

sounds kinda obvious i know but as noone has mentioned it, have you bled the brakes and what fluid are you running?

I always tell mates not to use these stuff pads for this reason, they have a very high Kevlar content and are hard waring thus have to get rather warm to have any sort of better braking performance, they say they need no warm up but thats not what i have experianced.

On my jap cars i tried many different ones the Mintex are very good by out of the two i would choose Ferodo DS2500 from experaince. In the end i used endless pads as they are as the name suggests they are just awesome.

If you have your old pads still around give those a go they will prob eliminate the bleed brake fluid ideas.

The only other option is to change them for somthing else and go form there.

If you want better claping force get some bigger calipers up there :)