Recall notice affecting the A4

docurley

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
hometown.aol.co.uk
It affects A4's between '94 - '99. It's to do with the hubs or suspension links that could result in a front wheel coming loose. Apparently there is going to be 870,000 cars recalled. However, that includes Passats and is Europe wide.

'a free safety check' of both bottom suspension arms

Contact Audi UK direct on 0800 699 888 give them your Reg No and they will tell you if it need to be inspected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any idea if this crosse over to the United States?

Not sure but if you contact Audi US and ask there customer Service Dept and point out your concerns They might let you know they know or there at least look in to it.

Audi USA: 1-800-822-2834 (AUDI)

Audi USA

The UK phone number is incorrect, it's the roadside recovery one and they know absolutely nothing about it!

Sorry mate, but when I rang that number they told me that they were the roadside number and that they didn't know of any recall!!??? After ringing again just now (1740) I have learnt that they divert their number outside of office hours. Anyway they said it's not actually a recall (apparently the press etc. have blown the whole thing out of proportion?) but as you quoted earlier a 'free safety check' after which they can advise of any work necessary? Mine is affected so looks like I will be booking it in asap. Cheers.

Could you let me know how you get on please kgough? I assume you will be going to Bristol Audi? I am not sure if mine will be affected, but will look into it and probably go there as well.

Cheers mate

Andy

Will do. I must speak to my neighbour first (he works at one of the Bristol Audi sites) and see if he can book it in for me.
Cheers,
Kev

I have just spoken to Audi on the above phone number 0800 699 888.

They have advised me that this is not a recall, however they are advising that the car is booked into your local Audi service center for a 'Free Service Check' so they can take a look at the front suspension and investigate the problems that A4's are experencing. They say that this is free and if it requires any work then the dealer will liaise with Audi customer service.

I will be booking mine in this week and will post the outcome........

Regards,

Jim.

I have just called my local dealer, they have never heard of a 'Free Service Check', however after explaining to them they did inform me that it is called a 'Bearing Arm Check'

It is booked in on Tuesday 27th July.

I will post the outcome......

Jim.

My car is going into Bristol Audi on Saturday morning, will let you know what happens.

I had mine checked last week - it was ok apparently...

Cheers

Brian

96 A4 1.8T

I had to get my control arms replaced about two months ago. They were making a rubbing sound when you turned the wheel either way. The repair cost me about 700 dollars.

****** you could have bought the complete control arm kit from ECStuning for like $500

Both my control arms need replacement - apparently not related to the recall though... nearlt £500 for the job!! ouch... I ahve not done it yet.

Hey guys,

I actually received a recall letter from Audi today regarding mine, which says to book it in for a free check.

[ QUOTE ]
Jay4 said:
Hey guys,

I actually received a recall letter from Audi today regarding mine, which says to book it in for a free check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snap. Got mine last week.

Yeah, Surely if it's a recall, they should replace any faulty parts free of charge?

Andy et all

how long did the check take? ie can I get a courtesy car out of it lol

No, that's what I'm saying. They're calling it a recall, which implies the work is done free. However, it's only the check that is free, if the work is needed you have to pay the going rate (then double it because it's an Audi).
My control arms had already been replaced by Autotechnik(possibly due to the fault), so the check took 30 minutes and was a waste of time.
My point is why are they making such a fuss about a free check, when they'll check anything on your car for free anyway. Totally misleading.

I just bought the 4 lower front arms for a quarter the price at an audi dealer. 173 euros for the lower front kit.

Audi here wants 153 euros plus VAT for EACH arm.

Heres my recall notice, i have just part ex'd mine in. Sorry for the bad quality pic, but I think you can just make out the writing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Recall notice

[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:
Andy et all

how long did the check take? ie can I get a courtesy car out of it lol

[/ QUOTE ]

When I went to book mine in I was told it will only take half an hour which I think is aslo written in the letter.

However, could any of you guys that have already had the check done confirm this in "Real Time" as opposed to "Stealer time". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers.

lol!!! mine's going in on the 29th of october.
if the weather is nice, i shall see if i can test drive the s4 cabriolet!!!!!! yeah right!

130000 mile limit has been scrapped there is no milage limit now but you do have to have a full provable service history on the veh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Zero have you tried calling audi uk as the dealers dont have any discretion on recalls but audi uk do and they will look at each case indivdually?

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
Mine is booked into Whitehouse in Bexley for next Wednesday, 20th October. The usual spiel. It'll take about an hour to do the check, and replacement is FOC if it has full history. They also mentioned the 130K mileage limit, though, so inofmration is obviously patchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it hasnt quite got around to every dealer yet but apparently they are working on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've just had mine checked; nothing worng with them .......

BUT

1) I was the only person who never got offered a cup of coffee (3rd time been waiting there, age?!)

2) Bought mats for my car, 50% off for £13.50. Didn't fit. Rung them up and they said if I ordered them they would be £77 +vat!!!!!!!!! How much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and £8+vat for 4 tiny little plastic clips.

Conclusion, although nice on the outside, fcuking rip offs!

[ QUOTE ]
ZeroK66 said:
Hi Xmas, that was who I had spoken to was Audi UK Customer services. I had sent a letter explaining my whole situation (VERY LONG STORY) and the woman called me a couple days back in response with no intention of helping waht so ever.

Will write a letter letting them know what I think...

Still dying for a 300brake A4q though *sob*

[/ QUOTE ]

Done my letter - sent it to 3 of the heads of customer service - telling them my life story from start to finish of my experience with Audi... see what their response is.

[ QUOTE ]
ajmackie said:
I've just had mine checked; nothing worng with them .......

BUT

1) I was the only person who never got offered a cup of coffee (3rd time been waiting there, age?!)

2) Bought mats for my car, 50% off for £13.50. Didn't fit. Rung them up and they said if I ordered them they would be £77 +vat!!!!!!!!! How much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and £8+vat for 4 tiny little plastic clips.

Conclusion, although nice on the outside, fcuking rip offs!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mention age...

There I am at 22 w/ a mint top spec A4 and spent over 2k in the last 4 months on general maintenance - and I get treated by them like I am a A3 1.6 company car teenager with no potential to be a true customer... makes me mad!

[ QUOTE ]
ajmackie said:
I was the only person who never got offered a cup of coffee (3rd time been waiting there, age?!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that... I walk into Audi, and within 30 seconds someone is ther asking if you want a coffee, or if they can help you... Considering at the time i was 19...JUST! i was VERY impressed...

I walk into VW, and get totally ignored... I make a habit of parking my A3 RIGHT outside the window so they can see im being serious! ****** idiots!

As for mercedes, if your not in a suite, they dont want to know!

Rich

When I walk into the Audi dealer near me, I normally get greeted by a few diffrent salesmen. I did notice that the majority of them are about low 20's, but I am barely 18. They all stare when they see the only pearl white a4 in the lot and I get out right up front.

I agree with you rich, when i walk into VW i get ignored like I am the wind blowing.

Aaron

[ QUOTE ]
ZeroK66 said:
[ QUOTE ]
ZeroK66 said:
Hi Xmas, that was who I had spoken to was Audi UK Customer services. I had sent a letter explaining my whole situation (VERY LONG STORY) and the woman called me a couple days back in response with no intention of helping waht so ever.

Will write a letter letting them know what I think...

Still dying for a 300brake A4q though *sob*

[/ QUOTE ]

Done my letter - sent it to 3 of the heads of customer service - telling them my life story from start to finish of my experience with Audi... see what their response is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still not heard back from Audi... I am getting rather irate... I think I am going to have to start sending letters to magazines and the like. I will call them soon and try speak to one of the heads of department... wasters.

Such a pity... lovely cars!

had mine checked yesturday, all ok ( done 129k aswell) so i was quite happy.

ive not had me letter yet! Do i need to wait for the lette rbefore getting it checked?? as the front left has started creaking

Mawhitey,

No, just phone your local Audi Dealer and let them know that you want to book your car in for the Control Arm safety check as per the recall notice.

You should have got the letter by now, it could have got lost in the post!

Regards,

Jim.

Mine went in for a 70k service this morning so I asked about this recall while I was there. They carried out the inspection and said that mine will require replacement steering control arms. Booked in for 1Dec as they said that it is perfectly safe for me to drive in the mean time. All work is going to be paid for by Audi as I have fAsh, which to be honest was a pleasant surprise! I knew there was a reason why I wanted those stamps in the book!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif