Rear wiper wipes randomly when starting up

vimy

Reaction score
I've noticed sometimes when its rained in the morning and I jump into the car, when pressing the wiper stalk down to wipe the front windscreen it also does the rear window. I dont have the comfort pack so no automatic wipers, is this a feature or should it not be doing that? lol

It's probably a feature.

You will also find that if you put your wipers into intermittent and select reverse, it will do a rear sweep c

It's probably because the car's in reverse when you blip the front wipers.

That said, I've discovered a few anomalies or "bugs". I've confused the hell out of the dipping passenger door mirror twice now and ended up with it pointing at the sky as a result, god knows how. Also, the parking brake has failed to auto-release on a few occasions, which is actually ****** annoying as you get used to just driving off and, if it doesn't release, the whole car strains against the brake which feels quite uncomfortable.

The rear wiper action is a codable option on 8P, so probably crossed to 8V aswell.

I've noticed sometimes when its rained in the morning and I jump into the car, when pressing the wiper stalk down to wipe the front windscreen it also does the rear window. I dont have the comfort pack so no automatic wipers, is this a feature or should it not be doing that? lol

Revival of a very old thread but I was searching for something else and came across this.

1) if you leave the rear wiper on (wiper stalk pushed forward towards dash) when turning off engine then rear after an ignition cycle, rear wiper will only kick in when front wipers are triggered.

2) OP didn’t have auto wipers but if front wipers on auto they won’t trigger until car starts moving but if manoeuvring forward and backward AND front wipers triggered first, the rear wiper swipes even if stalk isn’t pushed forward towards dash. There is a time window for this but no idea if the cut-off time.

On mine, even with the rear wiper 'off', it gives a wipe if/when I've selected reverse gear and use the front wipers