Rear wiper motor

adidasandy

Reaction score
Ok, when I use the rear wiper it sometimes does a full sweep like it should but sometimes it sticks for a second or 2 and then continues it's journey.
Is this a common thing?, motor, relay contacts?
A4 Avant 1998

Motor.
It's common.
You can strip it down, clean, grease and try again.
It might work and be fine, mine was for a week or 2 then started again.

I've since binned the rear wiper all altogether.

Ditto, stripped mine down and cleaned and worked for 2 weeks.

New motor is too expensive to justify buying one and all 'working' 2nd hand ones are sold or robbed from scrappies.

Dan

I still have mine in situ and not done anything more with it as yet.

Only Avants have the rear wipers.

That kit is ok............as long as your motor hasn't suffered to much what with the mechanism seizing to due the poor design of running as water pipe through the midddle of the mech.

The wiper runs free but just stops every so often, sometimes it runs for days then others moves like a robotic dogs tail.

Theres washer fluid I bet inside the wiper motor!
As has been said, its a poor design as the washer jet pipe goes through the motor mechanism, the pipe corrodes, fluid gets into the motor and the wiper literally develops a life of its own,lol.
I simply replaced mine with a s/h wiper motor,5 years on its still OK, though you can get rebuild kits as mentioned above.
On an Avant having no rear wiper isn't a wise move IMHO, you need one........

K... still on the standard discs as I couldnt wait to change the pads.. that light on the DIS was gettin on my t*ts! And I'd like to believe the mechanic greased the pads as the EBC pads came with some grease in the box and it wasn't in it when I picked the car up.

The squealing is not constant though.. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt, other times it'll squeal immediately I press the brakes and stop long before the car comes to a halt... As its not constant, Im always questioning whether its mine squealing or the car beside me but it has happened with no cars around me, so I know theyre mine squealing.. and also is it the compound used in these EBC pads that make them stink this much?

Why?
Panel vans, lorries, bikers and saloons don't have them.

Panel vans and lorries have no rear windows :p

The shape of an avant/hatch bodyshell means you get an area of low pressure behind the car, which draws road spray up and onto the windscreen. As a result when driving in crappy weather you end up not being able to see much out the back window. Hence the wiper.

Saloons dont need it because the sloping screen doesnt have the same issue.

Panel vans and lorries have no rear windows :p

The shape of an avant/hatch bodyshell means you get an area of low pressure behind the car, which draws road spray up and onto the windscreen. As a result when driving in crappy weather you end up not being able to see much out the back window. Hence the wiper.

Saloons dont need it because the sloping screen doesnt have the same issue.

No rear window or dirty rear window.
What's the difference?

The difference is i have a rear window and I want it to be functional.

There is no law which says you must have a rear wiper, if thats what your getting at. Its just ****** annoying if you actually like to use the mirrors and cant see owt out of the rear screen!

Ofcourse if your one of the many muppets that seem to use the mirrors for not much more than styling their hair and checking makeup, you probably wouldnt notice ;)

The difference is i have a rear window and I want it to be functional.

There is no law which says you must have a rear wiper, if thats what your getting at. Its just ****** annoying if you actually like to use the mirrors and cant see owt out of the rear screen!

Ofcourse if your one of the many muppets that seem to use the mirrors for not much more than styling their hair and checking makeup, you probably wouldnt notice ;)

Only mirror uses the rear screen. I got two more if it becomes unusable due to a dirty rear screen.

Spent years driving vans. So I tend to forget about the middle mirror.
The side ones does a good enough job.

I use house mirrors all the time to make my self look pretty :D