1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Wiper Motor Fire Hazard

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Graham89, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Graham89

Graham89 Derv Perv

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Just thought I'd post what I found when changing the rear wiper motor. Firstly the motor would not stop and constantly swept across the rear screen. The problem started about 2 months ago and the only temporary fix I did was pull the fuse out. However like the first wiper motor I had that blew, this one was not caused by the leaky washer pipes.

Before pulling the fuse out, the rear end inside of the car started to fill with white smoke that had the awful electrical burning smell.

After pulling the motor this evening I discovered that the electronics inside have literally melted away and burnt out. I'm not sure if this would eventually lead to a fire but thought it's something worth mentioning on here. If your rear wiper motor is playing up I'd be cautious to leave it. This is my second motor to stop working.

There's a couple of threads I found on google where some people wiper motor caught fire and took the plastic boot trim with it. Anyway here's a couple of pics.

The car is a 2005 A3 TDI 3 door
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362076433.772146.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362076449.915656.jpg
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]