Rear Window,courtesy lights & door warning PROBLEM

quattro25years

Reaction score
Hi all .
I have an A6 2.8 quattro avant.
My rear passenger door (behind drivers side) has the the following problem.

0) I have lost all electrics to the door ;

1) The electric window , lights in the door (courtsey lights red on the side of door,white light on door sill), have stopped working.

2) Also when the door is opened it does not display in the instrument cluster that the door is open.

3) Also when door is opened the interior lights do not come on.

All other doors are working perfectly.

I have checked the footwells & they are bone dry( i have the drain holes and the plenum chamber cleaned outwice a year to prevent the ingress of water).

If any one can help i would be MOST greatfull , cheers

have a look inside the rubber boot that fits between the b post and the rear door, it unclips from the post with a little levering.

inside you will find multiplugs and wiring running from the car to the door - check the plugs are secure and clean.

it will most likely be a broken wire at this point - the opening and closing of the door flexes the wires at this point and they can break with age.

i had a silmilar thing occur with mine where the window did not work - checking this area i found two broken wires - repaired and has worked fine since

matt

hi matt ,

thanks for the info , i will check this at the weekend & hopefully solve the problem.

My A6 has 129000 miles but still going strong!!

What A6 do you have ?

cheers

julian

mines a 2.8 quattro sport with about 143,000 on it now

I have this problem, but only with the door courtesy lights (i've changed both bulbs) and the car not showing the door as open. The window still works alright. I've pulled the rubber boot off between the car and the door and the wiring seems to be OK, can it be anything else??

Cheers

Mark

Hi There all,
New to forum...I have had the same problem with my 2001 A6 Avant...The courtesy lights & warning in dash both not working (window ok).The problem is the micro switch inside the faulty door..Take the door card off,and as you look at the door from the inside of car,on the right hand side you will see the switch where all the wires go into,try wriggling them,bad connection is the cause...Hope this helps.
rgds sjfedex (Steve) :rockwoot:

Convinience control unit went down?
Check all ure earths and power supplys start off with the basics.

sjfedex - i'd read that before with the switch, but people had reckoned that the switch would need replaced, that was a costlaudi only item.....i might give it a try once i've some time

8cylinder - where is the convenience control unit, would that not affect all the other doors as well

cheers for the replies

mark