1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear wheels locking during 3 point turns.?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by lukens3, May 30, 2010.

1. lukens3

lukens3 Member

[May 30, 2010]
    hello can anybody help , when ever i perform 3 point turns or turn out of a junction my rear wheels lock up.Also the rear is really twichy when ever i hit bumps .i did have a snaped spring which i thought was the problem but it wasnt .i was reading a post about this a while ago and i dont no if any 1 got the problem sorted .any help will be much appreciated.
    thanks .
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. sanj_c

sanj_c New Member

[Jun 16, 2010]
    Hi mate

Have you scanned your car on VAGCOM? Does the traction light come when this happens (Circle, triangle and ! symbol)?? I had the same problem and it turned out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor (ABS)...
  4. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

[Jun 18, 2010]
    yep, your best bet is to use vagcom initially and if your lucky it will pin point the problem. what year is your s3 ?
  5. mikes3

mikes3 Member

[Jun 19, 2010]
    Id have a bet the problem is your tyres.

If you have some excessive wear on the insides of your front tyres the same problem will occur. You might find it ok in a straight line, but a problem when the wheels are on full lock. As I have found out by my own experience, its vital for the 4WD system that all of the tyres are within a certain diameter of each other for everything to work fine. 2 or 3mm difference in tread can cause the problems your facing.
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 19, 2010]
    I hope its not a dead/dying Diff/Haldex... Some people have got lucky with oil and filter changes on the Haldex unit, or using a known good controller to prove it.

I would start with the Haldex oil and filter ( sub £50) for parts and go from there