1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear wheels locking during 3 point turns.?

lukens3 May 30, 2010

1. lukens3

lukens3 Member

hello can anybody help , when ever i perform 3 point turns or turn out of a junction my rear wheels lock up.Also the rear is really twichy when ever i hit bumps .i did have a snaped spring which i thought was the problem but it wasnt .i was reading a post about this a while ago and i dont no if any 1 got the problem sorted .any help will be much appreciated.
    thanks .

2. sanj_c

sanj_c New Member

Hi mate

Have you scanned your car on VAGCOM? Does the traction light come when this happens (Circle, triangle and ! symbol)?? I had the same problem and it turned out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor (ABS)...

3. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

yep, your best bet is to use vagcom initially and if your lucky it will pin point the problem. what year is your s3 ?

4. mikes3

mikes3 Member

Id have a bet the problem is your tyres.

If you have some excessive wear on the insides of your front tyres the same problem will occur. You might find it ok in a straight line, but a problem when the wheels are on full lock. As I have found out by my own experience, its vital for the 4WD system that all of the tyres are within a certain diameter of each other for everything to work fine. 2 or 3mm difference in tread can cause the problems your facing.

5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

I hope its not a dead/dying Diff/Haldex... Some people have got lucky with oil and filter changes on the Haldex unit, or using a known good controller to prove it.

I would start with the Haldex oil and filter ( sub £50) for parts and go from there