Rear washer warranty issue

bigtommy

Reaction score
So the rear washer on my car has been on blink for a while, it's never worked very well since got car 6 months ago. Car is still under warranty so when it was in at Audi Walton they said it is blocked and need replacing.

The dealer reckons it's not covered by warranty as it's not broken but blocked! Apparently they can't unblock it so only option is to replace it. This is stupid as it's clearly a design fault- has anyone else has there's done under warranty? I'm not going to pay it!

The rear washer motor is very well known for playing up on Audi A3's. The motor design is crap, it leaks internally, and can not only affect the motor operation, but leak down and play havoc with the boot locking mechanism and your alarm.

I have had to replace mine as have many others on here. It should be covered under warranty. If not, its a pretty easy job to do yourself, and you can get a new motor for around £95.

How old is the car? Is it still under manufacturers warranty or a used car warranty?

It's less than 3 years so under Audi warranty. They said it was £36 for new one.

I told the guy that if this was the way Audi treated it's customers I wouldn't bother buying another Audi- told him i also have a an s2000 and Honda replaced a part on my car 4 months out of warranty FOC and that was £1000 not £36 so maybe they could do with learning a few lessons from them. I would love to buy another Honda if they would make a proper one I actually wanted to buy!!

Maybe if they are only quoting £36, it might just be the little plastic nozzle that directs the water out onto the window that is blocked.

It is easily removeable from the car, just take off the plastic cover, pull out the nozzle, and squirt your rear washer jet. If washer fluid shoots out the back of your car, its just the little plastic thing thats blocked. You can unblock that yourself with a pin through the holes, or leave it soaked in vinegar overnight!

If its the same as the MK5 golf, you can buy a repair nozzle/internal pipe for about £10 or VW charge about £50 to do it.

I could easily fix it myself I'm sure but that's no the point- a 3 year old Audi should not need this fixing unless there us something wrong with the design or it a faulty unit, either way that why they sell the car with a warranty!!

What are they going to do for £36 ? Can't be replacing the motor (too cheap); can't be replacing the nozzle (too expensive).

I could easily fix it myself I'm sure but that's no the point- a 3 year old Audi should not need this fixing unless there us something wrong with the design or it a faulty unit, either way that why they sell the car with a warranty!!

There is something wrong with the design, they leak! Its a very well known A3 problem. Audi wont admit it though!

Tommy, I know it's not the point but if someone has put dirty water in the washer bottle (unknowingly) then the nozzle jet blocks very easily. Not really a warranty issue but they should sort it 'cos it costs nowt to clear.

Just pull the cover off, and then prize off the nozzle, takes 30 seconds. Fire the rear washer and see if water comes out. If it does then just unblock the nozzle . If it doesn't then it might be a few things but one thing at once !

audi have no control over the quality of water customers use to top up with. for instance; a particular customer thinks nothing of using the collected rain water off his garage roof to top up.....) nor do they have any control over what washer additive they use (some cheap washer additives actually full of sugar soap and promote sludge and alguie build up, different additives even react badly causing the same thing!). and are then surprised to see a full green moss lining in the washer bottle that smells of a stagnent pond! ive seen this several times!

in the same way as when you buy a snap-on air gun costing £300 its only guaranteed to a point. theres no life time guarantee of air tools as snap-on have no control of the quality of air going thru it.

if people (including the service techs) used the vag additive in the right consentrations all the time, i dont think there would be half the problems.

Last edited:
All sorted audi paying for it. Thanks to Audi Walton for sorting it.

Every A3/S3 I've has has been blocked.
Just remove the cover from the wiper arm and prise the jet off.
Put it in a cup of boiling water for a minute or and clear it out.
Re-fit and it will be like new.

So, for the benefit of others - what was the solution ?

don't accept what audi say that it is not a warranty issue is the only advice I can give. oh yer and buy a japanese car if you can find one you like!!

FYI - I have the same issue. Not had time to take it to the garage yet...I doubt it will be replaced without a fight.

Presumably, if you have the same problem, then you can't hear the pump working when you activate the washer ?

Presumably, if you have the same problem, then you can't hear the pump working when you activate the washer ?

I could have been clearer. When I say same issue I mean the washer isn't working. Pump is fine. Just skimmed the thread and first post says it is blocked - that is the problem I have.

Remove cover cap by pulling which reveals the washer jet. Remove that by pulling and clean out with fuse wire or similar and/or soaking in vinegar.

Before you replace, just make sure that when you activate the washer a spurt of water comes out of the wiper spindle. If it does not then you may have a problem with a broken pipe connection.

If this has just occurred recently then you need to ask yourself whether or not you had the correct amount of washer fluid mixed with water. Classic A3 problem in freezing temperatures - water freezes, expands and pops apart the pipe joints. Driver pumps rear washer and hears pump running but nothing comes out but in fact the water is swishing around inside the bodywork somewhere.

Hope this hasn't happened in your case.

Remove cover cap by pulling which reveals the washer jet. Remove that by pulling and clean out with fuse wire or similar and/or soaking in vinegar.

Before you replace, just make sure that when you activate the washer a spurt of water comes out of the wiper spindle. If it does not then you may have a problem with a broken pipe connection.

If this has just occurred recently then you need to ask yourself whether or not you had the correct amount of washer fluid mixed with water. Classic A3 problem in freezing temperatures - water freezes, expands and pops apart the pipe joints. Driver pumps rear washer and hears pump running but nothing comes out but in fact the water is swishing around inside the bodywork somewhere.

Hope this hasn't happened in your case.

Thanks Mike. I will give it a go. It did actually happen in the winter after a cold day but I managed to clear some blockage with a pin. I am using pre-mixed fluid which was purchased in the winter time so I assumed it would be correct. perhaps my bad there.

Pre-mix only works down to about minus 4/5. These last couple of years it's been much colder than that !

Audi replaced the jet FOC under warranty. It was suggested that the cause of the problem was NOT using Audi's own 'special' washer fluid which has an active ingredient to prevent it from clogging. :uhm: