1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear washer jet broken

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by codemonkey, Mar 11, 2012.

1. codemonkey

codemonkey New Member

[Mar 11, 2012]
    Hi there, name's Paul.
    First time poster but it won't be my last. I intend to stick around, learn & help, as you all are. :) Anyway...

I bought my '98 A3 1.8T in December 2011. All looked find when we inspected it, but upon close inspection at AMD Essex (a well respected tuning company) at a full service, it needs a load of little things which I'm slowly getting through. All age related issues, but there's one that looks like a lot of work.

The rear washer jet is broken. At first, it worked ok but a couple weeks after buying it, it stopped working. AMD say the pipe is broken, somewhere between the fluid bottle under the bonnet and the jet on the boot lid. Just wondered if anyone has ever replaced this and how much work it it?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 15, 2014]

3. Jay A3

Jay A3 More power

[Mar 11, 2012]
    welcome paul
    Its a process of elimination.
    When you push the rear washer lever can you hear the water bottle motor running? If yes then could be a blocked or loose pipe somewhere along the line. I had a similar issue, turned out that the pipe to the rear motor had popped off, Easy fix by taking the boot lid cover off.

There is a thread on here showing with possible causes and checks you can do

heres-why-some-peoples-rear-wash-wipe.html

Good luck
  4. codemonkey

codemonkey New Member

[Mar 11, 2012]
    Hi Jay, it does make a noise but nothing comes out, so I'm sure there's a pool of water somewhere! I'll take a look under the boot lid tomorrow, and report back.

Thank you!
  5. damo.h

damo.h DVLA Say it's Black

[Mar 11, 2012]
    Ok it it's connected at the boot wiper side and your not seeing any water anywhere the place to look is in the plastic loome/ wiring housing ( not sure of it correct name) like black plastic trunking... its a bit of a pita but could cause you ££££ if its there and not sorted. Need to remove air box as it's underneath it, that's how people usually miss the leak then end up replacing fuse boards if lucky.
    Happy hunting lol
  6. Keiran

Keiran Member

[Mar 11, 2012]
    +1 ^^ as mine did the same I plugged the hoses back together but still nothing. It was also disconnected in the left hand side of the boot and was filling the rear arch up with screen wash. Luckily there was a rubber drain plug:)
  7. G60DAN

G60DAN Member

[Mar 11, 2012]
    Hello and welcome to ASN there is a join round the sub in the boot that's where mine poped off just push it back in and taped the s**t out of it.