1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear vs. front tyre wear

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jcs356, Mar 5, 2006.

1. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Had my car MOTd today. Comments from the tester was I had 2.5mm tread on the rears, but 4mm tread on the front, with all four tyres showing even wear across the tread (tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A). All four tyres were change at the same time (approx 15,000 miles ago), and they've not been rotated since new.

My query is how come a 'predominantly' front wheel drive car has ended up wearing the rear tyres more than the fronts. It the wear was uneven across the tyre, I would put it down to incorrect rear suspension settings etc, but to wear the rears evenly across the tyre more than the front seems strange to me. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

My S3 wear the fronts down quicker for definite, so I have rotated them, the inner edges are also wearing slightly quicker since fitting lowered suspension. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. darnich

darnich Member

perhaps you use the handbrake too often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. chippie

chippie Member

sounds strange, mine wore slightly more on the front but only by a small amount as u would expect

6. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

Thats mighty strange...........did you check that they had not made a mistake and it was your front tyres?

7. s3bow

s3bow Member

Quite the opposite with mine Jo. Both my S3s have worn the rears faster than the front. Put it down to the negative camber.

Chris.

8. darko

darko Member

the rears on my S3 also wear much faster than the fronts...

9. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Thanks guys - so it looks like a couple of you have had the rears wear first so it isn't just me or my car!

10. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

Maybe it's a case of different driving conditions, rear wears out quicker for long distance driving? I corner pretty hard with my car with my tyre pressures set at 35F/39R