rear tyres...

thegoal007

Another S3 owner....
Reaction score
ok, so it looks like I need to replace the 2 rear tyres - not quite sure why they have gone down to the limit when the front ones still have plenty of life. They were all replaced at the same time many many years ago.
I currently have Goodyear eagle F1's - 225/45 R17 W (94), but I think I am going for a change now on the rear.
With tyres I see I have a choice on that last numbers which vary from 94 to 91 - not sure how important that is?
I was thinking goodyear efficientgrip performance Y (91). Anyone had them on their S3?

The other idea I had was to relegate the front to thr rear and put the new ones at the front. good idea?
pricing wise I am looking at spending similar money to the eagle f1's i.e fitted around £160 for the 2.

Any other suggestions?

My tyre man recommends swapping fronts to backs approx. every 7000 miles,he does that for me and it means my tyres last that bit longer...great customer service :yes:

91 and 94 relate to the weight the tyre is designed to carry. 94 will be an XL tyre so is designed to carry more weight. Either are good but XL tyres tend to have slightly stiffer sidewalls with an extra ply to renforce the sidewall.
I would stick to the F1 Asymetric it's a performance tyre. The efficientgrip is designed more for your run of the mill car.

I want to try something different. I think those Eagle F1's are a bit noisy and don't last long (not that this bothers me too much) . I 'think' I have probably done around 7K miles on them - 10 years).
I read these had very low noise levels, but feel are noisy. I may be wrong and find the next ones even noisier! These observations are a bit difficult without any point of reference.

Last edited:
ok thanks for that, although I thought I had 3's already, but perhaps not. I have had a look at the tyres and there is no number visible on the tyre after the word asymmetric. Also not sure how long the 3's have been around.
Anyway, ordered a couple of the 91 Y variety and now feel £162 lighter. fitting is Monday.