Rear springs not sitting the same (H&R) after brake install

NCRAW

Reaction score
Hi All,

Noticed that the car handling a bit odd after finishing up with the brake rotors and pads install. It kind of "limps" at very low speeds and a bit jumpy over bumps and also steering rattle at high speeds. Braking is smooth so its not brake shudder. Had a look around and noticed that the rear spring on the driver side (British/Aus) is compressed when car on ground, while passenger side is loose. Did one of them slip out of position or something? is it the passenger side? should that look compressed like the driver side (basically 3 or 4 coils touching each other with last two away from the rest).

Would it be possible for someone with a 25mm drop H&R springs have a look and let me know please?

Many thanks

Hi All,

Noticed that the car handling a bit odd after finishing up with the brake rotors and pads install. It kind of "limps" at very low speeds and a bit jumpy over bumps and also steering rattle at high speeds. Braking is smooth so its not brake shudder. Had a look around and noticed that the rear spring on the driver side (British/Aus) is compressed when car on ground, while passenger side is loose. Did one of them slip out of position or something? is it the passenger side? should that look compressed like the driver side (basically 3 or 4 coils touching each other with last two away from the rest).

Would it be possible for someone with a 25mm drop H&R springs have a look and let me know please?

Many thanks

Hi mate,

You don't mention what car you've got, but I've just stuck my iPhone under my 2008 S3 which is sat on the H&R Cup Kit (25mm drop) and my rear springs sound like your driver side ones - the top 4 coils are touching, the bottom two are not.

Edit: Bad picture added:

rearhr.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:
You are a legend bro. thanks for your help. Sorry I'm used to having a signature on ozaudi.com. Car is a 2008 S3 2 door. awesome pic. yep that looks exactly like my driver side which tells me the shock is fine too. Ok so must be the passenger side that slipped out or something. better get it checked today. dont want to leave it long. might cause issues after a while.

Hi mate,

You don't mention what car you've got, but I've just stuck my iPhone under my 2008 S3 which is sat on the H&R Cup Kit (25mm drop) and my rear springs sound like your driver side ones - the top 4 coils are touching, the bottom two are not.

Edit: Bad picture added:

rearhr.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

You are a legend bro. thanks for your help. Sorry I'm used to having a signature on ozaudi.com. Car is a 2008 S3 2 door. awesome pic. yep that looks exactly like my driver side which tells me the shock is fine too. Ok so must be the passenger side that slipped out or something. better get it checked today. dont want to leave it long. might cause issues after a while.

No probs pal, happy to help. Hope you get it sorted!

Haven't really had a good look under the S3,but I know with the Polo GTI if you jacked both rear wheels off the ground,the springs practically fell out by themselves.
Check that they're located correctlty and not misaligned somewhat.
Cheers
Len