1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear spring snapped - advice please

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by pj123, Jul 18, 2011.

1. pj123

pj123 Member

Just wondering if you need spring compressors to fit new rear springs or just a jack under the hinged arm will be enough to reconnect the damper? 1 ring off the base has snapped on my offside rear spring. Car is 9 years old on 109k, seems to be fairly common on this age of Audi.

2. Az

Az Hard slammed!

You wont need spring compressors for the rear springs, the space is too small for compressors, well from my experience anyway,.... unless I just have stupidly big and bulky compressors?? :shrug:

3. mrjheeta

mrjheeta Member
    VCDS Map User

i agree with Az, i dropped the sub frame, the new spring went in quite easy with a bit of help...

4. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

local garage keep your hands clean

5. Az

Az Hard slammed!

But that costs money...... ;) things like this I'd much rather do myself if I know the job is easy enough, bit of dirt never hurt anyone! :icon_thumright:

6. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

im just pure lazy this week tho

7. Dsport

Dsport Member

You won't be able to get away with just undoing the damper, you will have to undo the top link bolt ( mark it as this also adjusts the camber) then you have enough room to get the spring in, on the last one I did I removed the rear caliper too as it was streatchin the flexi pipe, should take you about 10/15 min a side

8. pj123

pj123 Member

Changed one last night and it turns out with 1.9 TDI non sports suspension you do need spring compressors. Bought some from screwfix for £17 which did the job. My S3 was an easy job to change the rear springs as they are short springs, but doing this job with spring compressors is a pain!

9. Hari_G

Hari_G New Member

Does anyone have a step by step guide for replacing the rear springs A4 B6, as both of mine have snapped!
    I have a pair of spring compressors (if needed), but would appreciate any help!