rear speakers

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
I havn't got these on my A3 (it's only base-level spec) but keep considering them.

How easy is it to retro-fit rear speakers?

What sort of costs am I looking at?

What other (economic!) mods can I make to improve the sound quality of the whole stereo-system?

The speaker themselves are easy to fit (6.5" units are fitted as standard), but you will need to make some spacer rings or buy some plastic ones in order to fit any aftermarket speaker over the 3 mounting posts that Audi use for their OEM units, or look out for some OEM units on ebay.
The rears are powered by a puny little amp inside the sub in the lefthand cubbyhole in the boot, do you have one of these? I'd check to see if the rears are pre-wired. If they are I can't believe Audi would bother to save the 22p that the OEM rear speakers must cost to manufacture.
Costs would be £30 to £150 depending on the units you decide to install. I wouldn't spend much as they only really add a bit of rear fill. To dramatically improve the overll sound you'd be far better off installing a sub (or one of my stealth subs) and upgrading the fronts.

I do have the sub in the rear LH side of the boot.

so there's a good chance if I gut OEM Audi rear speakers, I'd just be able to plug them straight in and not have to do anything else?

Should be, but knowing Audi I wouldn't put it past them to have taken out the wiring, but hopefully it'll be there.

the part number for the OEM rears is 8D9035412B and they're made by Isophon, pic below shown with the fronts on the right. OEM speakers

thanks for that

I spoke to an Audi dealer today who confirmed that if there are no rear speakers fitted as std, then there will be nothing to support then i.e wiring or plug on the sub.

how much of a job do you think it would be to intsall the the wiring and connect up to the sub?

The plug is already there, the amp has to be there as it is the same amp that operates the sub. If you look at the sub through the cubbyhole you should be able to see the red connector with a bunch of wires going into it. All the connections within the plug should be taken i.e. no spares, both going to the sub and away from the sub. If it isn't pre-wired for the rears (nice one Audi, saved themselves another 12p) then there should be more wires in the bottom section and less in the top. If it is pre-wired (matey at the dealer having a laugh), then the same amount of wires will be there top & bottom.
It would be really easy to connect them up even if they're not there. If you don't have a CD changer then you can access the wiring quite easily (it runs along a groove in the top of the sub) and should be able to pull it free and possibly unplug it from the sub without removing any trim. If you have a changer then you'll need to remove it first. Then get some cheap speaker cable and run it from the sub back to the rear speaker panel (which you'll need to remove at this point). the right rear can run under the back seats. The only tricky bit is wiring the new wires into the plug, I can send you the pin outs so you know which one goes where but I'd check to see if the cables are missing first.

Hi there - i recently upgraded my head unit - previously i had a sony only connected to the front "non amped" speakers - when i bought the new head unit i got a correct adaptor that allowed me to connect the rear speakers, amp and sub. im having a problem of a constant buzzing noise coming from the rears - its there all the time wether the head units on or not. any suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif