1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Speakers with no Amp, Help! Please!

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Steve_D, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Aug 29, 2009]
    This is my first post on here and must say its a tremendous site, been reading posts and there are many ppl that know there stuff

I hope some of them can help with my little problem, here goes

I have brought a AUDI A4 1.8 SE, (brill first audi!!!), it was fitted with a concert cassette player that came out the same day and replace it with my Kenwood CD Player

First i had trouble with the player remembering the memory but have been to halfords and brought a new iso harness and it worked after i had swapped the yellow and red wires over (yellow - red, red - yellow)

This car must have had the BOSE amp in at some stage, (i have just a big hole in the cupbard in the boot) and the rear speakers dont work so to speak

So if i am right i dont need this £30 harness i have brought because i have no amp to power and essencially this is what the harness does i suppose?

How would i get the rear speakers to work? Under the left rear speaker i have a blue iso connector hanging down with 6-7 or 8 wires going to it but i cannot see where the wires are for the actual speakers?

I have no intention buying a amp i just want sound coming through the speakers, is there a way of using the existing wires wherever they are to link with my stereo?

Sorry for the length, lol

Hope you kind chaps or lasses can help, i have scoured google to no effect

Steve
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Aug 29, 2009]
    Sorry i never put the year its a 1999 T reg Audi A4, crackin first post, misinformative, lol
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 31, 2009]
    It's a non Bose system if the fronts work, as they run off the HU. On the Bose system all speakers run off a separate amp. The rears run off a tiny amp bolted to the left rear speaker magnet, I imagine the rears have been replaced with aftermarket units, in which case they probably have rewired them to the HU. Do you have any unused wiring at the HU? Are the speakers aftermarket? This is the rear amp, you may actually have it but just didn't think it was an amp:
    [​IMG]
  5. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Aug 31, 2009]
    Thanks for the reply andymac non bose system solves a few questions, there are no spare wires at the HU, and the speakers are not aftermarket they have the audi symbol on the sticker. I would post a pic but i havent the option to get it off me hard drive just a url,

I haven got that amp in you pic but the bottom of the speakers are different, the left looks like an ordinary speaker whilst the right has a black screw on cover that just goes over the magnet if this helps

the iso connector i talked about had 8 wires in it, and i have nowhere to connect it or see where it connects?

The poles on the speakers have wires soldered to it but they go behing the body and cannot see where they go?
  6. AndyMac

[Aug 31, 2009]
    Yes that picture is a bit misleading as it shows the amp removed. From underneath the speakers look like regular speakers, just with one having a bit of metal round it. The metal is actually the amp. I guess they could have changed the design slightly if yours is a facelift A4 (being a 99). Just post the URL if you can otherwise we're scrabbling about in the dark a bit, use photobucket or similar. Need to see the speaker and the wiring if possible.
  7. karachi_kops

karachi_kops New Member

[Sep 1, 2009]
    Hi Guys

This is my first post on here so please be gentle .. lol

I have an Audi A4 (saloon) 99 registered.

I have the same issue of no rear sound. I have noticed that my rear drivers side speaker has a cover underneath the speaker, whereas the passengers side rear speaker just shows a speaker (no cover) and a blue connector hanging off. Im suspecting that something is missing as the connector is coming from the speaker itself. Any ideas?

Ive taken some photos. Is this an eay fix?

The stereo I have is a Concert non-bose wbut does have a CD Changer, not that this should matter.

Any ideas?

karachi kops
  8. karachi_kops

karachi_kops New Member

[Sep 1, 2009]
    for some reason I cannot add attachments :(
  9. AndyMac

[Sep 1, 2009]
    You need to upload them to photobucket then paste the IMG link into your post
  10. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Sep 2, 2009]
    To andy mac, will post somne pics soon going to open an account with photo bucket. The cover thats on the drivers side speaker is defo not a amp its just big enough to go cover the magnet and is screwed in the bottom, but will have to post pics

To karachi kops, i 100% relate to what u are sayin its exactly hte same prob im having
  11. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Sep 2, 2009]
    Here i have some pictures of the speakers now and the wire thats hanging down, left Speaker[​IMG][​IMG]
  12. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Sep 2, 2009]
    The top pic is the left speaker and the bottom pic is the right speaker, went a bit funny and couldnt see where the writing was, lol
  13. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Sep 2, 2009]
  14. AndyMac

[Sep 2, 2009]
    Yes, you seem to have a missing amp on the passenger side speaker, and the blue connector is where the amp plugs in:
    Here's a close up of the connector:
    [​IMG]
    Your best option is just to rewire the rears back to the HU, even if you had the stock amp, this is what I'd recommend as the HU will be pumping out twice the power of the rear amp so for balance rewiring is the best option.
  15. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

[Sep 2, 2009]
    Thanks for that AndyMac much appreciated are the wires running through the car already or do i need to thread them myself? actually would i be right in saying that the wires that run from the origonal stereo iso (20 pin one) are the line outs and low freq ground, that connected to that amp? and a rewire would be needed?

And because they had an amp on them before would my basic kenwood system be powerful enough? its a KDC-3027?

1 more question i have as i have seen you are very knowledgeable in audi's on this site; basically i have a A4 1.8 se 1999, is there anywhere i could get a pdf or some litriture of the owners handbook as i have had nothing with the car?

Thanks steve
  16. AndyMac

[Sep 2, 2009]
    Yes you'd have to run the new speaker wires all the way back to the HU, you can't use the lineout wiring. Your Kenwood would be more than powerful enough the Audi amp is 2 x 20w and that's not rms but peak, so about 8wrms per channel.
    PM me your email address and I'll send over my owners manual though it's for a 97 model.
  17. gmx

gmx Member

[Jan 31, 2010]
    bringing this back..

How does the Amp actually mount on the left speaker? Anyone have a pic of the left speaker assembly?

Mine is just dangling around banging on the frame.
  18. AndyMac

[Jan 31, 2010]
    Don't know exactly how it mounts to the speaker but IIRC it was nothing tricky. Chances are if the amp has been removed then the speakers are not the originals (can't see any other reason why someone would remove it). If this is the case then the amp will not mount to anything other than the stock speakers. I would just screw it to the bottom of the rear deck:
    [​IMG]
  19. gmx

gmx Member

[Jan 31, 2010]
    There is no free screw hole as far as I can see.
    Those two "hooks" slot into the parcel shelf. But it falls out again.

If anyone can stick a camera under there and take a shot/post it I'd appreciate it very much
  20. AndyMac

[Jan 31, 2010]
    It definately bolts to the speaker. When you remove the speaker it is all part of it. Guess you might need to remove it in order to fit it.