Rear speaker upgrade ideas..?

bogo

Reaction score
Hi all, im intending on upgrading the speaker system in my 1997 A4 1.8T. I have heard the parcel shelf is a B@#$"rd to remove so I want a good idea of what upgrade im doing before I undertake this little project. Has anyone done this what speaker size will fit with relative ease ect.

Cheers Andy

what HU do you have? if its an OE HU amp the speakers you may not need to change them
the rear speakers have a square mounting base so you will need adapters as well if you do want to change them.

I've left the standard speakers, but hooked them all up to a JBL amp and a pioneer head unit. Totally transformed the sound.

I also added a sub and amp for bass fill and it sounds spot on.

I really wouldnt bother touching the speakers until you've replaced the head unit and got a decent amp driving the stock speakers.

rear shelf isnt that hard to get out, it just takes a bit of patience, the clips holdin it in are abit of a pain to get at, i ended up lying in my boot and used long thin screwdrivers to push the clips in, once they all in its a case of sliding the shelf out with the seats down.

you may find that the sponge strips audi uses under the shelf to stop vibrartion will be stuck to the bodyso making it hard to pull....either give it agood hard pull as the shelf tight anyway or use something like long thin knike or hacksaw blade to trim the sponge to release it....

putting it back is dead easy just slide in and push down on the clips til you hear them pop in their holes

I have an Alpine Ipod interface HU thingy which transformed the sound no end but if I turn it up over half the NSR speaker has a heart attack and farts and pops. Thought about a sub so I tried turning the bass right down and turned the treble up to get a feel for how the speakers would handle that kind of set up but NSR speaker pops and farts even like that so I think and upgraded set is my only option to produce that crisper clear sound. Have noticed the speaker holes are square...? so im guessing I will be needing an adapter of some kind.

Im not bothered about taking the shelf out but would rather do it when I have got everything ready to replace so I can do it in one go :0)

If its a Bose system its 2ohm not 4ohm, the rear shelf speakers in Bose systems are subs. Mine were past their best so I got some Kicker subs 6.5 inch replacements in 2 ohm. these were a bit tricky to fit but once all done the difference is awsome .