Rear shocks, advice please!!!

moesplace

Reaction score
Hi all, a while since I've been on...

Its time to replace the original rear tyres on my 2003 1.9 TDi 130 Sport with 37,000miles on the clock.

The tyre fitter told me that the tyres where "lumpy", I ran my hand accross the top, left to right and he is right, they have a "wavey" effect on both tyres.

The fitter has told me it is the rear shockers that have failed and need replacing

Q1. Is this true or is he talking balls?

Q2. If I need new shocks, what type/make do guys recomend?

Q3. Is it an easy job to do myself?

Many thanks for any help/advice you guys can give me, its always best to ask the experts!!!

How do the rear shocks feel to you? Depends if your wanting to lower the car or not? Also i wouldn't advise putting different shocks on the front and rear as the handling will go all to pot!

imho weird tyre wear problems are normally caused by poor alignment. I'd replace the tyres then get the alignment checked on a proper 4 wheel laser rig. Ask the bloke who does this to note if there is anything seriously 'out'. This would also show up if anything is bent. If not then it could be the dampers I suppose.

The rear shocks on fwd A3s are a bit weak. When I changed mine at ~70k miles there was virtually NO damping left in them (you could move them easily by hand).

Try bouncing the car up and down at the back and see if it continues to bounce when you let go or if it comes to rest quickly.

I'm led to believe the rears are quite an easy DIY job although I haven't done them myself. As I understand it the fronts are a bigger job if you were thinking of doing all 4.

AFAIK it isn't possible to adjust the rear wheel alignment on a fwd A3.