Rear shock??????

OVRA3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure what its called but my rear shock absorber cover has dropped down and won't stay up the rubber has deteriorated, what can I do to fix this don't really want to fork out for a new shock..

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Mine has done the same, it's actually an alloy cap on the rubber 'bump stop' that holds the dust cover and has just corroded away, letting the dust cover fall away. The cover is round and the bump stop is oval so it won't simply slide back over and stay in place.

The only real fix would be to replace the shock, something I keep meaning to do...

It will work just as it did, but will reduce the life of the shock as it'll be getting covered in cack & wearing down the seal

Is there anyway to keep it up shocks are good so don't want to replace? I love no more nails! :p

Exactly the same here. Shock itself is fine, just the protective cover has fallen down. I keep meaning to tape it back on somehow!

Is there anyway to keep it up shocks are good so don't want to replace? I love no more nails! :p
its worth a go!

I've not tried to hold it up with anything, but that's all it needs doing - holding up to stop the cack!

its worth a go!

I've not tried to hold it up with anything, but that's all it needs doing - holding up to stop the cack!

If anyone has any ideas on how I'm all ears :p

I found an old fibre glass kit from the days when I used to patch up my old Montego. I swore I'd never use the stuff again as it's so messy and sticky, but it's worked a treat on securing the cover back onto the cap. I only used a small amount and was careful to make sure it didn't spread out onto other parts. You can get resin/hardner sealants for about £5 which might also do the job if applied carefully. Worth a try maybe?

I too have this problem. Fitting new springs tomorrow and was going to try and fix it with either cable ties or maybe a hose clip if I can find one big enough.

I was thinking hose clips as I was reading all the posts, you got there before me! haha.

I have the same ****** issue. Shocks dont seem cheap and they are preferred to be changed in pairs. Again my shocks are perfectly fine! Hose clips would be the best bet I think.

At worse just leave it until the shock gets completely knackered, why replace something good anyways? might aswell wait for it to become knackered.. or simply try and slow down the rate of it becoming knackered :)

I too have this problem. Fitting new springs tomorrow and was going to try and fix it with either cable ties or maybe a hose clip if I can find one big enough.

Just buy a new bracket from Audi its £4.10 or cable tie round the bump stop cable tie round the plastic sleeve cable tie together boooom that's what I've done until I can be bothered putting my ring on properly

cable/zip tie the cover on if not pop to local car spares shop and grab some 100mph tape (gaffa tape) will hold out... if not get some shock socks like on the quads and dirtbikes

Cable ties i did mine with on my old car,wasnt greatest of fix but it did the job