rear shock problem, HELP

Danielson

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
alright gang, started to hear a slight knocking coming from the nsr. had this before and it turned out the original shock was leaking and well past its best. so i replaced both rear shocks and the bushes in the rear while i was at it, and all was good.

so these replacement shocks must have been on the car for 2 years max, and now i find this knocking noise to come back, i just jacked her up and i can lift the wheel up a good couple of inches with very little effort and it looks like it is also leaking. for comparison i tried the other side and it has much more resitance but also looks like its leaking a little bit.

could one of you fwd b5 owners please jack up the rear and see how easy you can compress the shock/spring. surely i shouldnt be able to compress mine so easy.

Mine's quattro.

But, I'd check that side again, and make sure the washer on the damper piston hasn't gone through the top retainer.

I could hardly move mine - ended up trying to lift the wheel slightly when I was checking clearance on the rear strut a couple of weeks ago.

Are you sure it's the shock and not the spring? I may be wrong but I would have thought the spring would provide the resistance against the wheel moving up, the shock merely damps the bounce?

Shouldnt be easy at all mate, its what my last lot of shock/spring ended up like.from memory its what mine was like when mine blew as all of the shock oil had been spread over south wales,lol.

Its what prompted the swap to coilovers

what is the difference between the rear shock of the Facelift specialy the mount and pre facelift , and is they interchangable?

ok peeps, little update!
As the ole bus is due her m.o.t on tuesday i thought i best get this rear shock knocking/leaking sorted.
So i order a set of dampers for the rear, go to fit them and see the spring had snapped on the ns, oh dear i said! so a quick call to gsf and they can get me a set of 40mm lowering springs the next day, turns out they were exactly the same size as my old lowering springs, so ive just fitted the rears at the mo, the car feels like new, the difference is shocking! sorry couldnt resist the pun, =) so fingers x she should fly through the m.o.t as ussual.