1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Shock Issue? - Best Replacement Options?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by samc182, Apr 21, 2014.

1. samc182

samc182 New Member

[Apr 21, 2014]
    First post on here but owned my s3 for 3 months and used some guides on here. Been going round the car renewing the suspension bushes including front wishbone bushes and top mounts.
    After replacing the front bushes I'm still getting a knocking from the front passenger side and a knocking from the rear area. I took the car for a free suspension check and they advised the rear springs were snapped, I ordered some replacement and got on with changing them out, only to find they weren't snapped!
    I did find that the nearside rear shock had some play between the top and bottom but dont really have anything to compare against. It also had some score marks down one side, but its operation felt ok.
    Now I'm not sure wheter to go down the aftermarket or standard replacement route, also what else would you recommend to replace at the same time as the struts and springs?
    If I was to go aftermarket I was think Koni STR.T Struts and Apex Springs or am I better off savings for the Bilstein B8s?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. JimS3

JimS3 Active Member

[Apr 21, 2014]
    I have Koni STR shocks, really happy with them. I would go for Eibach pro springs over apex though.

Did you replace the inner anti roll bar bushes? I would check the drop links for play, these are the most common cause of front end knocks.
  4. samc182

samc182 New Member

[Apr 21, 2014]
    Cool thanks, I'll check them when I have a chance . Can you replace the bushes without changing the arb or is it a matter of checking when your there?
    Did check the drop links for split gators, seemed fine, is there any better way to check for play?
    How do the koni shocks ride? Are you running the eibach springs, seem mixed reviews regarding the rear ride height with them...
  5. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

[Apr 22, 2014]
    I had clonky kind of sound on my tdiq changed shocks and clonk gone, i am now going to do the droplinks and arb bushes as i found some play /loooseness in the droplinks and it won't hurt to do the arb bushes afte 150k either
  6. samc182

samc182 New Member

[Apr 22, 2014]
    Yeh will probably give those a go then as they're not too expensive and the get some springs and shocks on. Trying to avoid paying for multiple wheel alignments so want to get it right first time.