1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear shock absorber support ring HELP.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by JAMI308, Apr 22, 2014.

1. JAMI308

JAMI308 Jamie H - Cumbria

[Apr 22, 2014]
    Yesterday I heard a rattle and few creeks from the rear of the car on my way home so I got under it and had a nosey. It was dark so didn't bother taking wheel off but took a few pictures so I could see what was what and it seems the shroud has dropped, and the support ring had dropped as I've shown in the bad quality pictures.

My my question is can I just force the support ring back in place at the Top and push the shroud back up for now as I need my car to travel on motor way tomorrow and couldn't source new shocks in time to fit them tonight ready for my early journey tomorrow!

Cheers for any help lads

Attached Files:

2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. JAMI308

[Apr 22, 2014]
    Doesn't matter... Just got under car now finished work, jacked it up, and put the ring and shroud back on! Sorted seems okay
  4. c_w

c_w Well-Known Member

[Apr 26, 2014]
    One of mine had done this, kind of rotted at the top and the dust shield dropped to the bottom of the damper. I just replaced it when I had the damper off. I ran without it for quite a while and the damper seems fine.
  5. Boon

Boon Active Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 26, 2014]
    c_w have you a part no for the alloy parts? Both of mine have done this & would rather repair them than replace the whole shocks
  6. RL

RL Member

[Nov 15, 2014]
    Hi all,

I think this has happened to me on the o/s rear shock on mine. Also it looks as though the plastic cover has disappeared too!. Did you manage to get part numbers for the repair?
  7. JAMI308

[Nov 27, 2014]
    Sorry just seen this now, mine seems to have completely disappeared now maybe rotted and snapped haha. It's causing no bother though!
  8. RL

RL Member

[Nov 27, 2014]
    No worries. I managed to push the cover back up and cable tie in to place. Guys in another post suggested it. Seemed to work well...so far anyway!