1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear seats wont go down

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by LoopTrooper, Apr 25, 2012.

1. LoopTrooper

LoopTrooper Member

[Apr 25, 2012]
    Just bought a 5 door TDI and I would have assumed you just pull the flippers at the top of the seat and push it and the seats would go down. But this works on neither of them.

Any suggestions on how to get them working? I got as far as shaking them violently and swearing..
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 25, 2015]

3. Maz

Maz Moon is made of green cheese

[Apr 26, 2012]
    Brute force is the only way when it gets stuck.

..use one hand to hold the flipper in the release position and with the other give the back of the seat a hard thump shouting "YETI OVER!!!

That should do it ;)
  4. Cobra88

Cobra88 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 26, 2012]
    My original seat used to stick on the passenger side

a small screwdriver inserted near the catch and pushed upwards did the trick ;)
  5. damo.h

damo.h DVLA Say it's Black

[Apr 26, 2012]
    Pmsl @ Yeti over

Get the misses to hold the flipper go around a boot the fk out of it.... Hopefully you'll take em both out with one kick !!
  6. MrTackalakalaka

MrTackalakalaka Member

[Apr 26, 2012]
    Mine used to get stuck a lot!

I ended up taking the parcel shelf out, kneeling down in the boot (as you do) and pulling the lever while barging into the back of the seat. Quite amusing when it finally goes!

Just just spray some GT85 or something similar on the catch and a tiny bit of grease on the........U Joint? mine hasn't stuck since!!
  7. LoopTrooper

LoopTrooper Member

[Apr 28, 2012]
    Gonna have to get my violence on. I know I will start by trying to prise it with a screw driver but for some reason violence always seems to be the answer.
  8. LoopTrooper

LoopTrooper Member

[Apr 30, 2012]
    So met a few friends last night so thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try some brute force. One pulling and three pushing and the seats came down no bother...
  9. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Apr 30, 2012]
    yep, same here, requires a heavy foot from time to time
  10. damo.h

damo.h DVLA Say it's Black

[Apr 30, 2012]
    Lol it's like one of them jokes. How many VAG drivers does it take to fold the rear seats? One to hold the the knob and three to bang fk out of the rear ;)

Taxi for one :undwech:
  11. AJD S3

AJD S3 2nd Gear

[Apr 30, 2012]
    They seem to get stuck all the time, as the gap created by the catches seems to reduce over time, until they just stay stuck.

I have to put my seats down fairly regularly, and after them getting stuck for about the millionth time, I decided it was time to get a proper method together to getting them down, and so, after much experimentation, swearing and cursing:
    - hold the release lever in with one hand
    - raise the head restraint up with the other so there's enough room to grip one of side of the metal struts
    - with a firm grip on both, sort of 'wobble' the seat from side to side whilst pushing forward.

There's an art to this method, but seats always go down very quickly and easily using it :)

But if this doesn't work for you, for whatever reason, go for Maz's method:

There's something in those words, 'YETI OVER', just makes it work. Might have to start saying it when putting mine down to speed up the process...
  12. LoopTrooper

LoopTrooper Member

[Apr 30, 2012]
    I've left the seats down for now. When I go up the garage I will grease everything up and hopefully it'll stop it from getting too stuck again. The triggers seem a bit sticky anyway so just seems like something needs greasing.