rear right brake light out - vag-com flags brake switch error

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So my car threw a warning on the dash about brake lights. I've had an intermittent brake light switch error since I bought the car but never fixed it. Now though it happens everytime I press the brake, so I figured "well, guess the brake light switch has finally given up the ghost". Went out to the car just now to check which switch I need (4-pin) and then noticed that only the rear right light isn't working, the other two are fine.

So, would a bulb out throw a vag-com fault? Are the rear lights on seperate fuses or something? Basically, given the vag-com fault I have, should I be messing about with checking lights and fuses seeing as only one of my lights is out, or should I just go straight to buying a new switch?

Cheers guys,
Aran

I cant help to much on this but,

Ive just had my brake light switched replaced as mine failed its mot on no brake lights.

Audi done the mot and replaced the switch all for £44, i think the switch was £8-£9 something on the receipt, so they are cheap enough.

yeah, i scanned again today and the brake light switch fault is still coming up, so think i will swap it out for a new one tomorrow

a bulb out can throw a pedal switch fault, replace the bulb, delete the code and see what happens, if the code comes back replace the switch as they cost next to nothing, get a genuine one tho as after market are crap

will get a genuine one; think it's probs the switch to be honest given i've always had the intermittent fault, unless you are saying that the intermittent fault could have been a bulb all along? and now the bulb has finally given out?

also, been reading a bit about people getting the wrong rear lights and it causing them not to work due to wattage etc...? I've got a pre-facelift car but with facelight lights on it, so what part number would I need for a rear right brake light bulb?

Thanks guys,
Aran

update. I got a new brake light switch today (green 4-pin one). On the way back from audi some guy waved at me and told me both of my rear brake lights were now out; so I thought, "glad i just bought the switch!". Fitted the new switch. Now I don't get any fault codes after multiple presses of pedal, car restarts etc - so looks like the switch is fixed. But still BOTH of my rear brake lights are out (the high level brake light works fine).

Is it normal to have two bulbs fail like this at once? I checked the fuse for the brake lights (fuse 13 I believe) and it's fine. Any advice? Guess i'm just looking at getting two bulbs? Oh, and the car still beebs whenever I hit the brakes and puts a warning on the dash....

Bah, so annoying

another update for anyone who cares lol

went out and grabbed some new bulbs; got the double filament and the singles cuz I didn't know which one it would be. Took both the clusters out....and there wasn't even a bulb in the passenger side single filament "side light" slot....is that normal?! If not, then I've been driving around with a side light out since I bought the car!

Anyway, replaced the bulbs - no more warning on the dash and all lights work - also brake light switch error is gone from vag-com due to the new switch I installed earlier.

Probably just a coincidence mate but looks like you have sorted it now so good work fella :)

guess so, was so weird though getting in there to find a bulb just completely missing...

Thanks for the tread I'm having similar problem on mine just got a brake light switch from Audi and am going to attempt to fit it tomorrow, is it hard to fit in and any specific way pedal pressed down plunger in out etc.

If you get a new green one, then its leave the brake pedal where it is, push new one in and then turn clockwise until it clicks...job done