1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear plate holder

phantom Feb 29, 2008

1. phantom

phantom On Boost

Do all S3/A3's have a rear plate holder or is it just a holder the dealer put on?

Ive put my new Black optic grill on and i'm just waiting for my new plates ( should be here today ) STD size, STD type face , but with a black boarder, and no BLUE GB badge!:icon_thumright:

Thanks

p

2. S3 Big Andy

S3 Big Andy Stealth Beast Baby Yay

I was going to ask that question today!
    Did you get the grill from an Audi dealer? I have been quoted 384 + VAT for mine

3. phantom

phantom On Boost

4. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

I think the dealer puts them on, but not all bother to do it. Mine doesn't have one.

5. Spin140

Spin140 Well-Known Member

I have them with the dealers details on the bottom, They look a bit too fussy for my liking so keep meaning to change the holders just never got around to it, another one to add to my to do list..

6. Spin140

Forgot to say I asked for the blue GB badge as these will be needed when i make my first trip to the Ring in September :)

7. phantom

phantom On Boost

Ive only got the rear one , with the dealer name on the bottom , i don't know if i should take off the holder or get a plain black one with no dealer name on it?

p

8. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

it is something the garage fit.

some garages don't bother and just put two ugly bolts through the plate.

here is my car in the showroom with no rear plate holder as it came from the factory.

[​IMG]

9. phantom

phantom On Boost

True , i'll keep my GB plates and swap them over if i'm going on my jollies!!!!!:respekt:

p

10. phantom

phantom On Boost

Thats better init?

I'm gonna use the sticky stuff to put them on , no ugly bolts for me as well!:rockwoot:

p

11. dipstic

dipstic Member

My A3 had a couple of bolts holding on rear plate, my S3 was just a small stuck on strip with dealer logo,easy removal job,looks much cleaner:icon_thumright:

12. richardn

richardn Member

With all my cars i tell the sales guys not to put those ugly plate holders anywhere near my car. All i do is get some sticky velcro and i'm away... The velcro allows me to remove the plates at track days or when i feel like going really fast.

13. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

Got any pics Phantom?

Was it a pretty easy job?

Quite fancy getting one too.

14. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

Here is a picture of the back of my Sportback with no plate holder and the plate secured just using double-sided foam tape. Much neater than the normal plate holder.

[​IMG]

15. phantom

phantom On Boost

I'll wait till i get my new plates on and get rid of the plate holder for pics!

easy-ish it just takes a couple of hours on your own!

i follwed jimmyjames's guide!

cheers jim!

p

16. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

Thanks P - I've just found JJs excellent guide - as mine is an s-line looks like it's all clips for me and a dremol!

Fleabay have got black S-line grills, but looks like there isn't much price difference between vagparts and Fleabay, so will get a quote from vagparts and take it from there.

Cheers again P :icon_thumright:

17. Spin140

Thats much neater david, mines for the bin too I think.

18. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

Excellent Phantom. Glad grill guide came in handy. Was easy enough though.

Post pics up mate. Should look the Dogs danggles.:icon_thumright:

19. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

sorry the lazziness guys but do you need to have new plates made? I mean what documents and where can they be made...

Mine do not have GB and I spend lots of time in europe... so far I am fine... I was stopped once in Portugal for speeding but they did not care about the plates... there is no GB anywhere in my car... rear plates are black letters in yellow backgroung and that is it...

20. phantom

phantom On Boost

Your suppose to have the country your car is registered in on your plates when driving in the EU. If you car is registered in englad , and your driving in Portugal you should have GB and the blue badge on your plates!

If your just driving in the UK you do not need to have the GB and blue badge on your plates!

p

21. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

Yes... I was actually expecting the car to be delivered with GB on the plates but it didn't and I did not bother changing them...

So where can I get a GB plate made?

Pedro

22. prt57

prt57 Active Member

I didn't want the plate holders on my S3 so I specified that when ordering.
    Why would you want to advertise the garage you bought the car from.
    All dealer stickers are also removed straight away.

prt

23. phantom

phantom On Boost

24. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

:thumbsup:

25. h5djr

Or alternatively you can still add a white with black lettering GB plate to the back of your car. Personally I think the normal EU plates with GB on look much better.

The French police have been known to check cars coming off the ferry/tunnel and stop cars with no EU/GB plates or a GB sticker from leaving the port area.

26. h5djr

Looks good. A lot better without the number plate surrounds. The black grill looks good on a black car as well.

27. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

Looks great Phantom - a nice mod :icon_thumright:

28. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

Yeh Phantom. Grill looks good. I'm the same nothing wrong with chrome grill but preferred the more aggresive look of the black Optik grill. Mint mate Mint.

I didn't do the plate holder thing either. Yeh get rid of that and any garage stickers too.