1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear number plate

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by mattyb6, May 26, 2013.

1. mattyb6

mattyb6 Active Member

How have you guys got ya rear plate fixed on?

mine has the original Newcastle audi showroom plate surrounds on and they look ****.
    so bought so number plate screws a while ago from eBay. Today I removed the rear plate to find the surround was bolted on with 2 10mm bolts.

but I want the proper number plate screws with the coloured caps.

whats best I do? Just drill new holes o suite the the screw into the boot lid and fill the old holes?

im not using sticky pads 1. I have extremely bad luck with them
    2. I'm probably going to paint the boot soon anyway so easier to remove screws.
  2. Greeny233

Greeny233 Active Member

I have just had to re-do the fixings on my boot as someone had snapped metal bolts off in the standard threaded fixings. I drilled out the original fittings and replaced them with rivnuts which are internally threaded rivets. Worked a treat.
  3. mattyb6

mattyb6 Active Member

Cheers greeny.
    Il be getting some pressed plates too.
    The screws I've got are self taping so might just put them in. Then if I come across some rivinuts or something similar il get some.

Il just get the drill out tomorrow ;)

same for the front too :p
  4. krisavant

krisavant 4th set of a wheels in a year

How i did mine..
    Scored the back of my pressed plate then 2 sticky pads just for positioning then 2 lines of tigerseal.
  5. mattyb6

mattyb6 Active Member

I've got tiger seal but won't it ruin the paint if I ever have to remove it?
  6. Cabbyfan

Cabbyfan Member

Walking past our local Halfords a while back and one of their staff was trying to remove the rear number plate from a car using what I can only describe as a massive screwdriver brute force and leverage. Hate to think what it did to the bodywork underneath.
  7. krisavant

krisavant 4th set of a wheels in a year

Well it's used for bonding spoilers, side skirts, door mouldings on etc, so it's not supposed to come off. That's why I used it, but then again I don't intend to remove my plate. Probably will be murder removing it off the paint.
  8. Avnt

Avnt Active Member

I put pressed plates on mine in a set on ingoldstat number plate surrounds of audi. They finish it off nicely imho
  9. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I use Halfords sticky pads, I have done for years and *touch wood* I've never lost a plate. Worst case, it's a tenner for a new one. Far preferable to some mega glue you'll never get off...
  10. DieselJake

DieselJake God Mode

Plain black plate holder screwed with self tappers and pressed plate inside for me.
  11. mattyb6

mattyb6 Active Member

I might find some carbon surrounds and pressed plates. Then I can use my original 10mm bolt holes.
    failing that just use 2 self tappers ;)

while I'm at it does any one know what the best bulbs are for the reg plate, I'm after bright white LEDs