Rear lock plinth on boot lid (rust)

Reaction score
Have any of you guys noticed any rust at the lower corners of the boot lock plinth?

I was just cleaning my car and noticed the paint is starting to bubble a tiny bit at corners!!

Wonder if this would be covered by the anti corrosion policy with Audi??

i thinkits a common problem, as ive seen quite a few a4s with the same, mine had it on when i bought the car, but i got the dealer to sort it before i bought it, they swapped the panel, said it was easier than having it resprayed

alan

Me too. On the boot corner extremities and along the ****** panel too. Grr, why use aluminium when the pre face-lift is plastic and didn't rust.
Wondered about the anti-corrosion warranty too as it as 12 years!

I have it too on my 2000 TQ sport!

wow - didn't realise the anti-corrosion warranty would last so long!

Mine is doin it but its cming off when the paint gets touched up, and re painted.

Yup mine is doing it at both lower corners, how long does the anti-corrosion warranty last?
i was just going to flush moine when i have it off, cus i never use the key in the boot.

Yeah would be interesting to see if we could claim this.

Sorry if I confused anyone but its actually on the bootlid where the plinth rubs as SteveS said. I never explained it all that well.

I think if I were to go into Audi they would just tell me to ****** off and pay for it to be fixed.

it's worth asking though, if they say yes, result, if they say no then they need to explain why, if your not happy there's always Audi customer services.

if nothing else you can have a little chuckle to yourself as you ask for Julie Ann swallows

I've got a lovely patch poping through mine also!! does the warranty still run if your not the original owner (first i mean) as some dont get transfered??

i had this on my 1999 18TQ, my local audi dealer said no to it being under warranty, thats was back in 2005. Luckily step dad is a bodyshop manager :)

Maybe we should pop across to RS246.com and ask some of the S4 boys if they have a similar problem and if they have had it sorted.

I have the same problem... damn thing!

It's all getting touched up pretty soon though because some total a*se lorry driver (sorry if anyone drives a lorry for living! lol) wiped out the front end of my parked car a few months ago and ******** off! :motz: Managed to track the sod down though and they've coughed up for a replacement front bumper, bonnet, wing and headlight plus whatever else needs doing ;)

I'm certain Audi ought to cover this on the anti-corrosion warranty though... it's a clearcut case of corrosion! I was getting all geared up to cause a stink at my stealer but I don't need to now :p

Best of luck with yours bud :)

T

Here are some poor phone pics. My mate has my digi cam.

DSC00277-2.jpg

DSC00279-1.jpg

DSC00278-1.jpg

Thanks Soupie, makes sense now. I couldnt see any corrosion on mine, thus I figured you guys were meaning something else.

I would imagine the warranty only applies to cars with full Audi service historys, and with all the bodywork checks accounted for. And perhaps even then it will be down to the dealers discretion. :shrug:

there's actually 2 warranties, the paint warranty that lasts for 3 years and the anti corrosion that lasts for either 10 or 12, can't quite remember.

i think the key here is Audi will cover this if it's corroded from the inside although how they check this without stripping the trims off is beyond me. it's actually caused by the reaction between the 2 different metals used in the boot lid and the lock surround.

now in my opinion corrosion is corrosion no matter how you slice it and they should cover it as it's a failing in the design but no doubt they'll hide behind the fact that it's not corroded from behind.

Good work Dave.

I may call me dealer and see what they say.

I think they will reject it though. The RS246 posts said the guys look at the whole car. I think the front of my car has been sprayed at some point so this may void my warranty.