1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift Rear lights always on

Wxm Aug 22, 2017

1. Wxm

Wxm Active Member

I've noticed that the rear lights of my 17 plate A3 are always on regardless of the light switch being in the off position. Just to clarify this is when the engine the ignition is on. The headlights aren't on just the drls. It did cross my mind that it might be a 'new' thing to have rear drls but surely this would make drivers behind less aware of the brake lights. Or perhaps this is an issue with my light sensor?

2. phobos512

phobos512 Active Member TFSI Owners Group Team Vegas Yellow Audi S3 saloon DSG

Sounds like you've got Scandinavian DRLs setup on your car. Yes, that's really a thing; you can find details via your search engine of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

All s-line models and upwards have all got rear drls and its the only model in the Audi line up to have these which is fubar in my opinion perhaps VCDS Can delete this mode

Audi Bairn likes this.
  4. Audi Bairn

Audi Bairn Well-Known Member Team Navarra TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro s tronic saloon DSG

In some respects I think it's a good thing they're always on.
    Yesterday around here was very foggy and it's amazing (and scary) the number of brainless fuds in other brands who still don't know that their rear lights don't come on with the front DRLs (obviously nobody on here!! lol). And yes, they should have their headlights on too but at least they'd have rear lights this way. This can happen at dusk too. Because they can see their "lights" on the car in front, they think all their lights are on.
    Rant over.................... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

sugardaddy and James.B8 like this.
  5. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding Site Sponsor Team Ibis VAG Can Professional VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Facelift A3's with rear LED clusters have rear daytime running lights on from the factory. In PFL cars this was a coding option but in the FL cars it's hardwired within the clusters.

T-800, Audi Bairn and jassyo06 like this.
  6. daydotz

daydotz Member

The law is changing all new cars will have some form of rear DRL our clio does

Audi Bairn and DJAlix like this.
  7. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding Site Sponsor Team Ibis VAG Can Professional VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Indeed, hence the hardwiring. FL cars also have some hardwiring (and "smarts") within the headlights also.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  8. Tom.H

Tom.H Well-Known Member Audi S3 Black Edition s tronic Team Ara Blue

What are they Alex? Not the headlights themselves of course lol

Audi Bairn likes this.
  9. DJAlix

Due to demand on my services I have had no time to really dig in to the FL A3 / MQB coding as much as I have done with the PFL cars but did some testing for a 2017 FL S3 customer the other day. Vehicle had normal LED headlight clusters and it was impossible to change the brightness of the DRL's whilst indicating. I also could not change the DRL brightness to 100% for all light switch position modes. I had a mirror positioned in front of the car and had a full on 2 hour session with it. I believe there is are "smarts" within the new headlight clusters which are controlling the dimming functions outside of the 09 module, as all the related adaptation channels in 09 were showing as 127. I have also noticed strange goings on within both the front and rear lighting of the golf mk7.5's.

T-800 and Tom.H like this.
  10. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

I like them always on, and coded my PFL car to do the same. I'm happy they've done it, and as others said - it's becoming the norm in other models too now.

11. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Wow this is news to me. We've got two FL A3s at work and I can't say I've noticed this - is it all FL models or has it been introduced more recently than that?

If it's going to be made law soonish anyway then makes sense. Audi were one of the first manufacturers to start fitting dedicated front DRLs, years before they were a legal requirement.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  12. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 s tronic

Remember the head scratching last year with the Dynamic rears on my RS3 Alex.....

jassyo06 likes this.
  13. DJAlix

Oh yes! lol

T-800 likes this.
  14. DJAlix

Same here, and it's normally the first mod I do on my own cars along with beep on lock and unlock :)

I have a lot of cars come to me for this that are "mum's" daily drivers. Always a good thing to add extra visibility to a vehicle thats transporting kids.

Audi Bairn, cemerson and T-800 like this.
  15. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

The all new A5 doesn't have them but came out after the face lift A3 yeah having themselves on permanently has a small level of safety but in general l think it's bloody stupid looking, stuck on permanently

16. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 s tronic

Anything that keeps the dopey ******* behind me from crashing into me is all good.

Too many posting on Instagram, Facefook and Twatter instead of bloody driving.
    As Alex says it’s always worth doing.

Audi Bairn and jassyo06 like this.
  17. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

Yep, anything to increase visibility. The LED lights look smart anyway.

T-800 likes this.
  18. Vertigo1

Judging by the number of muppets who are incapable of turning any lights on in fog or heavy rain, taking the responsibility away from them can only be a good idea.

Bells, T-800 and Audi Bairn like this.
  19. wideboybloke

wideboybloke Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

I noticed the rear lights are constantly on with my wife's new cabrio. At first I thought she'd put the lights on, but I gradually concluded that they must be part of the DRLs. A good idea in my view.

T-800 and Audi Bairn like this.
  20. JunkStory

JunkStory Member

my canadian 2017 FL S3 didn't have the rear tail DRL on by default. I used VCDS to enable them though. IMO cars with the rear tail DRL turned on look better, more modern (with LED), and is better for safety.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  21. Vertigo1

Guy at work has a facelift MY17 car and his rears aren't on all the time so I guess this was only added with MY18?

22. Tom.H

Tom.H Well-Known Member Audi S3 Black Edition s tronic Team Ara Blue

Sure mine is a MY17 car and mine are on in the daytime. Didn't know they were until I saw a post from Jassy.

23. TYb

TYb Well-Known Member Team Navarra TFSI Owners Group Audi S3

Mine is a MY17 s3 and they are always on, not 100% but think it's sports models and above which have day light rears on.

24. Vertigo1

Stranger and stranger!

25. Vertigo1

His is an S-Line saloon and he says the rears aren't permanently on.