Rear light cluster earthing point for2002 S3 - HELP!!!

djarchive

Reaction score
My car has recently been to Andy Mac for the audio treatment however all is not well. The sound coming from the sub on stat up is possibly ground related or beter still RCA cable related.

Could somebody clarify where the point are in the boot as this is now effecting all lights/ causing various warning lights to flash. Its apparent this is related to the ground.

No big problem however abit of help is required.

---

Note:

Shout out to AndyMac- Top guy+ the sound so far, when turned up is unbelivably crisp compared to the "uprated" bose option Audi supply. No complaints on that front - Quality. Thanks matey.

Joe

Joe as suggested you just need to ensure the new earth point is making decent contact. Or failing that re earth it to another part of the chassis. I'm really annoyed as I usually double check this very issue, but with your complex alarm system I didn't dare and then forgot to get you to do it before you left.

Neigh worries mate. Its all the fun of having a car I own. Nothing ever runs smooth. lol

As per my orginal, Thanks again for the work. Top notch :)

P.S Incase I start to pull off every panel in search for it, where did you replace it / re-place the new? faulty earth? (My notifications aren't working at present / I cant see your orginal message) Thanks mate.

Joe

It will be accessible through the cubbyhole if you remove the CD changer. The changer is just held to the sub with double sided trim tape, so you can simply pull it out. The new earth is underneath the rear seat belt reel.
Earthrepos.jpg

Undo the 8mm nut and just check the 2 earths are making good contact with the bodywork and the nut is good and tight. If it is, then connect a new wire to the earth point and temporarily attach the other end to one of the cargo anchors just to prove this is the issue. This should cure the issue as this is the only change I make to the stock wiring, so test everything and make sure the problem goes away. You can then drop the new cable behind the boot panel and permanently screw it to the cargo anchor from behind, so no panels should need removing. Let me know how you get on or give me a call.

Found the little sh*t. All electrics including lights, Reverse lights, + Dash / Alarm etc etc are now working again. Cheers Andy for the above.

Now: The buzzing interference sound. I've (You've rather) have narrowed it down to 2 things. A GLI is needed or the Ground on the Amp / Headunit? I'm hoping the next step is the final one and so then it'll be all sorted. Is it the same case with the Ground on the Alpine Amp you fitted? Shall I check all connections / see if it still pulls through the engine noise?

All sorted. 100% done.

All it needed was a GLI which I've temporarily borrowed from my good mate :ninja:

Thanks for the above help / patience!

Much appr for the help Andy :) :) :) :)

:icon_thumright: