Rear knocking noise - Only during hot weather

sekenzo

Reaction score
For a few years, I have been experiencing a strange knocking sound at the passenger rear of the car. The strange thing is as the weather gets hotter the louder the knocking sound and more regular. During winter, the knocking is pretty much non existant. I have gone to the stealers and even they can't find anything wrong... Anyone experience similar problems before? Any idea what could cause this?

i have exactly the same thing happen to me im a mechanic myself so have spent ages looking under the rear susspension and still cant find a problem, i think it might be the void bushes in the rear hub. i brought new bushes from audi about a year ago and still haven't fitted them yet as there noticbly different to the ones fitted almost look like they wont fit there that different but im assured there correct, im just not willing to remove the old ones if all i can get is these ones if they dont fit.
i might fit them later this year though but no time soon.

what year is your car??
an s3 i presume??

i have exactly the same thing happen to me im a mechanic myself so have spent ages looking under the rear susspension and still cant find a problem, i think it might be the void bushes in the rear hub. i brought new bushes from audi about a year ago and still haven't fitted them yet as there noticbly different to the ones fitted almost look like they wont fit there that different but im assured there correct, im just not willing to remove the old ones if all i can get is these ones if they dont fit.
i might fit them later this year though but no time soon.

what year is your car??
an s3 i presume??

Its a 1998 A3. Do I have a rear ARB?

cant remember think its in the rear axel itself. so im guesing yours is fwd?? the trailing arm bushes fail on the fwd vehicles not sure it would cause the noise your experincing though

thanks. just bought a pair of powerflex rear bush... hope it will solve my problem.. Does anyone know how much it will cost for a garage to fit them?