Rear interior lights question sportback 57 plate.

drnutta

Reaction score
Hi guys,
First of all MERRY XMAS! I would like to ask a question as i think i am going a bit mental with something regarding my rear lights.

Right...

Do any of you with A3 sportbacks without the "lightpack" option have a illumination for your rear lights when the car's main lights are on?

I could have sworn mine did till a couple of days ago! At the moment mine does not light up at all. Its the switch to actually switch on the rear lights.

This is suppose to be illuminated is it not?

Alisdair

drnutta said:
Hi guys,
First of all MERRY XMAS! I would like to ask a question as i think i am going a bit mental with something regarding my rear lights.

Right...

Do any of you with A3 sportbacks without the "lightpack" option have a illumination for your rear lights when the car's main lights are on?

I could have sworn mine did till a couple of days ago! At the moment mine does not light up at all. Its the switch to actually switch on the rear lights.

This is suppose to be illuminated is it not?

Alisdair

Have you tried moving the switch by the front light?
:hubbahubba: Merry thingmas too!

dont know what you mean exactly :)

I bought the front bits for ambiant lighting for the front from vag parts if thats what you mean.

Are you talking about illumination in the light switch itself. Various parts of the surround to the light switch light up depending on what is selected. The main lights indicators are on the right-hand side (0, sidelights, main headlights if you do not have auto-lights and 0, Auto, side-lights and main lights if you do) and the front and rear fog light warnings are on the left.

Are you perhaps referring to the front and rear fog lights warning? These are separate and light up 1. when the front fig lights are on only and 2. both segments light up when the front and rear fog lights are on. The front and rear fog lights can only be switched on by pulling the light switch knob outwards (first stop for front fogs and second stop for rear fogs) when the main lights are also switched on. As soon as you turn off the main lights the knob is automatically pulled in switching off the front and rear fogs.

Its actually the rear interior passenger light illumination to say "there is a switch here"

if i had the interior light pack it would be the rear map lights.

i was wondering if anyone else iluminates to say there is a switch here to light the rear lights.

I with you know. Someone else raised this question a while ago.

Basically, if you have the lighting pack, you get individual reading lights with a push switch next to them in the rear passenger compartment light unit. If you don't have the lighting pack then you just get rear compartment lights that work on the doors with no separate switches.

I understand that it possible to change the light unit for the one with reading lights. Both units are the same size. The main thing to check is than the electrical connector that connects to the unit has 4 wires. If it has then it's just a matter of changing the lighting unit. If not then you would need to run extra wires to provide the permanent supply for the map reading lights and for the earth.

Have a look by removing the lighting unit - it is just a push fit in the hole in the headlining. The part number for the lighting unit with the reading lights is 8E0 947 111 A and it is available in various colours to match the headlining.

Thanks for this... but I am sure that the switch part of the unit actually illuminated before!

I remember this as i was waiting for someone at the train station and got bored starting at it :)

Can you confirm if this switch part actually lights up red?

Hi Mate,

Just checked my sportback which has NO light pack installed and I can confirm the rear light cluster switch does NOT light up .... If you didn't know it was there and it was dark you would not know there was a switch on it ...

Hope this helps ....

Ta

hum... thinking about it... thats really stupid of Audi not to include this!

ho hum another thing to mod i suppose.

on another note though... I am sure that mine worked before :unsure:

Can you confirm if this switch part actually lights up red?

Yes there is a red symbol in each switch. It's in the centre of each of the push button reading light switches. There is no other switch to switch on the main interior light in the rear.

probably on the lightclusters in the lightpack there might be but on the cluster for a non-lightpack - there is just a light with one push button - which (on my sportback) does not glow red - which is a real shame ...

Hey ho but maybe a good call to upgrade the rear lightcluster to that of the lightpack one ... if you do attempt this then let us know what parts you needed and costs as I am sure others will want to do this too ... and like other say if you need extra power cable to drive the unit ...

I personally would like to put the light pack options into the front and rear clusters and the 2 led mood lights ... but I can't seem to find a "black/dark" version of the cluster for the s-line black headlining .... if anyone else knows ?

ta

You just need the rear light unit as the wirings already there. I did this mod about 2 years ago on my A4 and before I even picked up my A3.

Do you know where to purchase

a. the front
b. the rear

light clusters ? I have a s-line so all the headlining is black and the light clusters are also a very dark colour ....

Many thanks.

Do you know where to purchase

a. the front
b. the rear

light clusters ? I have a s-line so all the headlining is black and the light clusters are also a very dark colour ....

You could order them as OEM parts from your Audi dealer.