Rear H&R coil spring snapped over speed bump

dave_beastttt

3000 grit
Reaction score
IMG_20160726_WA0000.jpg

Was driving my S3 8L slowly over a local speed bump, i'm pretty sure it's above the legal 100mm limit.

2 questions:-

1. Has anyone got a spare or do I have to buy a whole replacement set?
2. Has anyone ever pursued their local council for compensation for damage?

The springs are no more than 2 years old

If one has gone the other probably isn't going to be too far behind, just replacing one isn't a good idea as it will be a different stiffness to the other side anyway. Id be replacing all 4 myself. Some might say just replace the rears.

Good point @shaunevo6, I have a set now on order, i'll replace the 2 rears and keep the fronts for when they snap rather than change now. I had them out at the front last month to do the top mounts. The speed bumps round here are everywhere :disrelieved:

Obviously make sure the rear shocks are ok too, if they aint doing there job at cushioning the load it could have caused the spring to coil too much leading it to bottom out on itself.

Not surprised here, I had a set of Eibachs go on me, the salt the UK uses just kills them! Ideally, you want to add some kind of protection onto the springs prior to fitting. The spring cups are a bad design and keeps water there. So no matter what springs you are using, it's all just a matter of time when they will go?