Rear Footwell Lights/Door Trim/Carpet Removal - Routing Wires

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to retrofit the rear footwell lights using the kit from Robin (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...144413-rear-footwell-light-retro-fit-kit.html), but I don't know where to start in terms on routing the wires from under the front drivers side footwell to the two rear footwells? I;m thinking i'll need to remove the side door trim panels, and maybe the carpet?

Has anyone done this, and can provide guidance/advice?

Thanks! :)

Matt - welshwoody has just fitted some of my rear footwell looms, he'll be the man to ask.

Also matt how did you get on with the connectors? Did my pm make sense now you have seen the looms?

Cheers Robin, I'll send him a PM. TBH I have not yet had chance to take a proper look at the looms, I'll have a look in the morning, look awesome on first glance as normal! :)

Matt here is what welshwoody has pm'd me just now - hope he doesn't mind me posting it:

I dont know if it helps but I did it without removing the seats at all, I removed the plastic trims in the footwells and then the sill trim pieces.
Then I took those plastic covers off from the floor where the connections are and wires come from by the fron of the seat. I then used a welding ros with a cable tie gaffer taped on like a lasso and pushed it through the hole in the carpets towards the sills. Then I pulled the carpet slighty and put the connector through the lasso, pulled it through and followed the existing cable under the seat to the back of the chair, poking the connector out of the hole that the light clipped into.

Thanks Robin, looks very helpful. I'll see what he says over PM :)

Cheers mate

Yeah I did what its says above, reading it now I cant believe my poor spelling... I meant welding rod and front seats.
The plastic covers on the floor are the ones you can see when you push your front seats rite back.

Ive copied the reply I gave Matt as its in a little more detail....

Hi Matt, I litterally did this this morning so its still fresh in my mind so here goes.
If you look on both the drivers and passanger side footwell, the panels in the front need to be removed completely, I wish I took pictures as I went along now but basically the pannel thats rite by the bonnet release handle. You have to remove these anyway to be able to pull up the sill plate.
Once there off put them out of the wat then gentle pull the sill plate upward bopping out around 6 clips, I only pulled mine up as far back as the pillar the back doors are attatched to. Dont worry if the clips come off, a few of mine did but I pulled them back out with needle nose pliers.
Youll be able to see the edge of the carpet now from where it was under the sill.
Push both seats back as far as they will go so you can see the plastic access panels on the floor, pull them off too.
Now I made a little tool to thread under the carpet as its quite thick and stiff with all the sound proofing there.I used a welding rod but any semi flexible rod would do, like maybe a wire coat hanger?
I then used a bigish cable tie to make a lasso type thing, I stuck the tail end of the cable tie to the end of the rod leaving the large hoop exposed.
I then pushed the rod-lasso through the hole in the carpet where the access panels were, aiming for the sill. I gently pushed the carpet away from the sill and pulled the lasso part up, slipped the loom cavble through the lasso and gently pulled it under the carpet and up through the access hole.
Its now ready to thread through the seat.
Feeling under the seat you should feel holes with the padding coming theough, I put the lsso through from the back of the chair where the light fitting would eventually go and pusehed it through to the hole in the underside of the seat nearest the front. Again hook the loom through the loop and pull it through to the light opening.
Make surethe seat is rite back though so the wire doesnt get tight, it shouldnt as theres easily more than enought length on the loom. Fit the light on the end and pop it into the holder.
Tidy up the cable going into the access hole and refit the cover.
refit the panels in and its done!
Took around an hour and a half-ish, biggest pain was the clips coming off the sill panel but thats just one of those things.
Excellent loom...
Job done.

Thanks for this guys, gonna take a look in the next few days :) Will take photos...