1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear fog light

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by sllt1776, Dec 19, 2003.

1. sllt1776

sllt1776 New Member

i thought this was a weird option. a good idea but why only have it on the left side taillight. is there any negative effects from putting a bulb in the right side taillight also.
  2. TheTonsta

TheTonsta Member

You only have it on the left side taillight because you guys drive on the right hand side of the road, so only the left one is needed for people to see where you are especially in relation to the middle of the road!!

If you wire up the other one too, people will be able to see you more clearly. No negatives there IMO !!
  3. sllt1776

sllt1776 New Member

hey never thought of that. so in places where they drive on the other side of the road, does only the right side light light up or is it not an option there.
  4. TheTonsta

TheTonsta Member

Yup, over here in the UK as standard only the right hand side lights up, 'cos we drive on the left..
  5. TheTonsta

TheTonsta Member

Incidentally you have to actually run a wire to the other side as well because there is no wiring already there.
  6. excursion

excursion Member

You also have to enlarge the hole for the bulb to fit through
  7. TheTonsta

TheTonsta Member

Oh yes, that's the other thing. There is no bulb holder on the other side. You need to get one of those too!!
  8. excursion

excursion Member

Tony, I've been meaning to get around to this - do our nearside bulb holders not have any contacts in them for the fog?
  9. sllt1776

sllt1776 New Member

i think so. that way they won't have to make molds for all the different types.
  10. Snail2

Snail2 Member

I upgraded from the standard rear lights (mines a 95), to the later type lights (red and white only 98> i think) and i have 2 rear fogs now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  11. excursion

excursion Member

Are you having problems Snail??
  12. Snail2

Snail2 Member

Only with other people who cant turn their fogs off, why?
  13. excursion

excursion Member

Oh the confused smilie you put, I thought you'd got some kind of problem with your motor after the upgrade!
  14. Snail2

Snail2 Member

No, just suprised, as my lights are OEM audi, and i had all the fittings for twin rear fogs (as did burti, who did the same upgrade)
  15. excursion

excursion Member

Yeah I've heard others mention this! I hope mine is too!
  16. mrg

mrg New Member

Gentlemen,
    Think about it. It's bad enough out there with every idiot at night with his/her fog light(s) on and no idea what the button does and why they are being 'flashed' by so many other blinded people! If you can see them they can see you - turn the foggies off! If you only have one fog light, off side whichever country you are in, then at least they can see as many brake lights as possible. I certainly ensure any car I buy only has one off side fog light.
    Just a thought?
    MRG
  17. CTA4AVANT

CTA4AVANT New Member

They don't have laws like that here in the States. you can drive with your front fogs on at anytime. i prefer to leave them on for the additional lighting they provide.

As far as rear fogs...most cars here don't have them...and if they do...most people don't know how/when to use them!

I want to convert my rear fogs so both are illuminated at the same time. Only the driver side one works on my Avant at this point.

- Rye
  18. CTA4AVANT

CTA4AVANT New Member

Nice!

Thanks for the reply sllt1776. I have some Euro-Spec tailights on order (with amber turn signals). I hope to modify them for dual rear fogs. Not sure how they are set-up yet. I'll have to wait until I get them.

What do you mean when you say you enlarged the bulb hole....Is the socket there but the bulb needed won't fit?

What about wiring? Is there a plug there already that can be plugged into the rear of the socket? or wll I have to run wiring to tap in to the driver's side tail lamp?

Thanks
  19. sllt1776

sllt1776 New Member

shoot us a pic when your done, if you can.