1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear end rattle

s3joe Jun 3, 2012

1. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

Hi guys i ahve got a rattle from the rear end n/s and its puzleing me its not the heat sheild on the exhaust or the rear back box and i am getting to the end of the options with it. Thanks joe

2. liquids3

liquids3 Member

My rear exhast braket broke of might be that,mayby the little clip that holds the handbrake cable,rear disc sheild,loose rear pad caliper sticking?,best to get a free exhaust check from say qwik-fit then just have a look underneath,might be simple.

3. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

funny you should say that i am getting a knock when i am putting my foot on the brakes from the same side i was goin to have a look today but the weather no chance

4. Oke Phill

Oke Phill Member

When my top rear arm, snapped that rattled, but the car drove pretty normal. may be worth a check.

5. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

yer it might as its only doin it over bumps when goin slow but i dont have the windows open when goin any quicker than 20mph

6. Oke Phill

Oke Phill Member

My tie arm sounded like a wheel nut had come off and was ratteling around under the centre cap. does it sound like that?

s3joe likes this.
  7. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

yes it does to be honest any pics

8. Oke Phill

Oke Phill Member

Here we go mate. Just whip the rear wheel off you will know straight away.

[​IMG]

9. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

Nice one I'll have a look at that today.

10. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

It's not that I'll have to get it in a ramp now and have a look.

11. beanoir

beanoir Large Member

My rattling was the rear brake pads, hadn't been fitted properly with the shims, you'll ony notice them start to rattle though once they've worn down a fair bit. It can be quite common.

It was a horrendous noise on the outside, I though it was the exhaust.

12. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

That might be worth a look as they were new when I got the car.

13. beanoir

beanoir Large Member

worth checking mate, it really is suprising how much of a noise they can make.

14. s3joe

s3joe Active Member

Well I think it is them as it was doing it today and put the handbrake on and it stopped so new pads I think.